Is the Cosmic Expansion Merely a Result of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

• Thread starter Inductor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, according to some theorists, the edge of the universe presents a limit to the extent of cosmic expansion. This "stark line-in-the-sand" is likely due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle which places limits on what different observers can agree has been observed. Additionally, it seems that the apparent acceleration of the cosmological horizon is only apparent to cosmological distant observers and may not be present at closer distances.
Inductor
Is cosmic expansion nothing more than compliance with Heisenberg Indeterminacy?

The edge of the Universe presents a very stark line-in-the-sand.

Nature doesn't like such immutable measure re: forced to distinguish between the "known" and the "non-known" Universe.

Could there not exist an inherent Universe-wide, "state of flux" to prevent such otherwise-compulsory cosmic "decision-making?"

Am I applying apples to oranges? : )

I encourage your response. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Is cosmic expansion nothing more than compliance with Heisenberg Indeterminacy?

it's almost certainly more than that.

Likely you are thinking about SPACE alone but it's more likely any such expansion is a spacetime phenomena.

The edge of the Universe presents a very stark line-in-the-sand.

If an edge exists, the "starkness" would likely be limited.

Likely any "edge" would appear as a space time horizon analogous to that of a black hole. As Crowell has posted here a lot recently, nobody knows if the universe if finite or infinite...so nobody knows if there is such a boundary...

As with a black hole horizon or that of an accelerating (Unruh) observer such a "boundary" has multiple interpretations.Different observers, free falling verses distant intertial, make different observations. As Unruh discovered, and I think is generally accepted, the temperature (one type of supposdely "objective" measure) an observer records is a reflection of that observer's acceleration. The horizon of that observer may well be invisible to a distant observer.

And while Heisenberg uncertainty limits observations of a single observer, relativity places limits on what different observers will agree has been observed. So they may disagree about observation of time at any such "edge".

Also, it seems to me the acceleration of the cosmological horizon is only apparent to cosmological distant observers...with an observer at such an "edge", if it exists, wouldn't there be an insufficient cosmological expansion factor (lamda) to observe any expansion?

Another perspective of Hawking and Hartle is a "no boundary" proposal in which they posit imaginary time which behaves just like another direction in space...no boundary to the universe.

Hawking says: ..
...one can avoid having to specify boundary conditions at all if the histories of the universe in imaginary time are closed surfaces, like the surface of the earth. The surface of the Earth doesn't have any boundaries or edges. There are no reliable reports of people falling off.
from Hawking THE UNIVERSE IN A NUTSHELL, 2001
(I don't think this has widespread acceptance.)

Perhaps someone who knows the details of mathematics can comment on what such math suggests. There is a tad here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-boundary_proposal, but frankly I don't know what to make of it.

What do you "see" (observe) at such an horizon? try this recent thread on for size: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=456574

Sounds pretty definitive .. very little room for uncertainty or expansion - Heisenberg-inspired or otherwise. "Full value" response - full marks to Naty1. I happy if only to have had my thoughts - on this matter -merit such considered response. Again: full marks! Bravo magnifico : )

1. What is Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion?

Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion is a concept in quantum mechanics that was proposed by physicist Werner Heisenberg. It suggests that the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured simultaneously with high accuracy, can be applied to the expansion of the universe.

2. How does Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion differ from traditional expansion theories?

Traditional expansion theories, such as the Big Bang theory, suggest that the expansion of the universe is driven by the force of gravity. Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion, on the other hand, proposes that the expansion is driven by the inherent uncertainty of quantum mechanics.

3. What evidence supports Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion. However, some scientists argue that the observed fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the remnant of the Big Bang, can be explained by the uncertainty principle.

4. Can Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion be tested?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to test Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion. One approach is to study the distribution of galaxies in the universe, as it is believed that the uncertainty principle would lead to a more homogeneous distribution compared to traditional expansion theories.

5. What are the implications of Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion?

If Heisenberg-Inspired Expansion is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would challenge traditional theories of expansion and require a new understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.