Buckling Energy of Beam/section

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the energy required to buckle a hollow tube. It was suggested to calculate the minimum energy needed for buckling and the formula for the critical load was provided. The axial deflection and moment of inertia were also mentioned as factors to consider. The conversation ended with the potential usefulness of the calculated strain energy.
Su Solberg
Hi guys, I wonder whether we can roughly estimate the energy used to buckle a hollow tube (by calculation)?
I was asked to calculate the backstay of a cane to ensure it can stand for the rebound force due to abnormal operation.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is easiest to calculate the minimum energy required to achieve buckling. The critical load [itex]F[/itex] for buckling a long, slender object is [itex]F=\pi^2EI/L_\mathrm{eff}^2[/itex] (where [itex]L_\mathrm{eff}[/itex] is the effective length for the loading condition you're interested in). The axial deflection [itex]\delta[/itex] from an axial load is, as usual, [itex]\delta=FL/AE[/itex], and the moment of inertia for a hollow tube is [itex]I=\pi(r_\mathrm{o}^4-r_\mathrm{i}^4)/2[/itex]. So the strain energy from axial loading up to the level of the critical buckling load is

[tex]\frac{1}{2}F\delta=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\pi^4E^2I^2}{L_\mathrm{eff}^4}\right)\left(\frac{L}{AE}\right)=\frac{\pi^5E(r_\mathrm{o}^4-r_\mathrm{i}^4)(r_\mathrm{o}^2+r_\mathrm{i}^2)L}{8L_\mathrm{eff}^4}[/tex]

which may be of some use.

1. What is buckling energy of a beam/section?

The buckling energy of a beam/section refers to the amount of energy required to cause a structural member to buckle or collapse under a compressive load. It is a critical factor in determining the stability and strength of a structure.

2. How is buckling energy calculated?

Buckling energy is typically calculated using the Euler buckling equation, which takes into account the material properties, cross-sectional area, and length of the beam/section. It is also influenced by the boundary conditions and type of loading.

3. What factors affect the buckling energy of a beam/section?

The buckling energy of a beam/section can be affected by several factors, including the material properties, cross-sectional geometry, length, and end conditions. Additionally, the type and magnitude of the applied load can also impact the buckling energy.

4. How does buckling energy impact structural design?

Buckling energy is a critical consideration in structural design, as it can indicate the maximum load that a beam/section can withstand before buckling. Engineers must ensure that the buckling energy is sufficient to support the expected loads and prevent structural failure.

5. Can the buckling energy of a beam/section be increased?

Yes, the buckling energy of a beam/section can be increased by altering its material properties, cross-sectional geometry, or length. For example, increasing the section modulus or moment of inertia can increase the buckling energy. Additionally, providing additional support or bracing can also improve the buckling energy of a beam/section.