Find the marginal profit function given a function for demand and cost

In summary, the demand for potted plants in June is given by p= 2.00 - (x/30000), and the cost of growing x plants is C = 2000 + .20x. To find the marginal profit function, one must first determine the revenue by multiplying the price and quantity. The equation for profit is given by profit = revenue - cost. To find the marginal profit, one must take the derivative of the profit function.
Runaway

Homework Statement

A nursery has determined that the demand in June for potted plants is p= 2.00 - (x/30000). The cost of growing x plants is C = 2000 + .20x, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 100000
Find the marginal profit function.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin, mostly because I don't see any way of determining profits because it never gives you any indication of what price they are selling them for, only the costs, is there something I'm missing or is this problem simply unsolvable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Runaway said:
A nursery has determined that the demand in June for potted plants is p= 2.00 - (x/30000). The cost of growing x plants is C = 2000 + .20x, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 100000
Find the marginal profit function.

Cost = 2000 + .20x

Revenue = Price*Quantity (where demand indicates price)
Revenue = ...?

Once you have revenue and cost, what's the equation for profit? Once you have profit, how do you get marginal profit?

I think you are miswriting the "demand". I think that "p" is the price and "x" is the number sold. That is, solving the equation for x, the demand is given by x= 3000(p- 2.00), where p is the price.

demand is what it says in the problem, that's what I didn't understand

1. How do I calculate the marginal profit function?

The marginal profit function can be calculated by taking the derivative of the total profit function. This means finding the rate of change of profit with respect to the quantity of products sold.

2. What is the purpose of finding the marginal profit function?

The marginal profit function is useful for businesses to determine the optimal quantity of products to produce in order to maximize profits. It shows the revenue gained from producing one additional unit of a product.

3. Can the marginal profit function change over time?

Yes, the marginal profit function can change over time as demand and costs fluctuate. It is important for businesses to regularly recalculate the marginal profit function to make informed decisions about production and pricing.

4. How is the marginal profit function related to demand and cost?

The marginal profit function is derived from the total profit function, which is a function of demand and cost. It takes into account the relationship between the quantity of products sold, the cost of producing those products, and the demand for those products.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the marginal profit function?

The accuracy of the marginal profit function can be affected by external factors such as changes in market demand, production costs, and competition. It can also be impacted by internal factors such as errors in data or assumptions made in the calculations.