Social Media Changing the Way People Communicate

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Social media
In summary, the sheriff in the segment said that he finds suspects by looking through their facebook pages. He said that this is a good way to find them because they can see what they are doing and where they are. He also said that people need to be careful because privacy is a valuable thing but people need to realize that this new form of communication is a binary situation in which people can share or hide things.
Gratuitous self-promotion alert! *I was quoted in this Sunday’s Minneapolis Star-Tribune for an article about the changing nature of communication in the social media era. *As I’ve discussed here before, I do think that the nature of discourse has changed and ever-present social media are one of the leading causes for that change. *I’m excited [...]http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=395&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

More...

Physics news on Phys.org
I watched a 30 minute segment on CNBC this week that profiled facebook. The segment I found most interesting was an interview with a county sheriff that uses facebook to look for suspects on the run.

By reading through know associates facebook pages (sometimes the suspect themselves) the law enforcement persons have been able to generate leads and monitor activities while they search physical locations.

Last edited:
This needs to be done, for one, so we can figure out just WHAT the role of something like Twitter really is in this recent change of power in Egypt.

I'd argue that when the government killed cell-phone service and internet (cell above all), that alone was a major impetus to enrage people. Everything else that runs on those basic portable devices doesn't seem to change the game much... cell-phones and portable computing are the core of it.

One thing I've noticed is that humans aren't built for the amount of typing, keying, txting, gaming, and other repetitive activities that we're doing now, and starting young. There are kids with AC joint issues, and teens with radiating numbness in their hands. I feel that Twitter, FB, Forums, Skype, etc... these are all different facets of the total package that needs to emerge.

As speech recognition is unlikely to become viable as a primary means of input in this decade, gestural interfaces and the possibility of haptic feedback to reduce impact seems key. (no pun). Everything indicates that when you make these means of communication tied to cellular and other communications networks more accessible, people flock to it.

So... you join people of disparate backgrounds, ages, sexual preference, gender, intelligence, education, race, religion, etc... and if they want to and are able to, they can hide it all. On the other hand, you can share ALL of that in an instant on a profile for the public or 'friends' to consume. That is one hell of a binary situation that people are yet to take responsibility for. Yes, privacy is a great thing, but people have to realize that privacy is literally the currency of this new form of communication.

1. How has social media impacted traditional forms of communication?

Social media has significantly changed the way people communicate by providing instant and constant access to communication platforms. Traditional forms of communication, such as face-to-face conversations and written letters, have been replaced by online messaging, video calls, and social media posts.

2. What are the positive effects of social media on communication?

Social media has made communication more efficient and convenient. It allows people to connect with others from any location and at any time. It has also expanded the reach of communication, enabling individuals to connect with a larger and more diverse audience. Additionally, social media has facilitated the sharing of ideas and information, leading to increased knowledge and understanding among people.

3. In what ways has social media negatively impacted communication?

One negative effect of social media on communication is the potential for misinterpretation. With the absence of nonverbal cues and tone of voice, messages can be easily misunderstood. Social media has also made it easier for misinformation to spread, leading to misunderstandings and conflicts among individuals. Moreover, the constant use of social media can also result in a decrease in face-to-face communication skills.

4. How has social media changed the way businesses communicate with their customers?

Social media has revolutionized the way businesses communicate with their customers. Companies can now reach a wider audience and interact with them directly through social media platforms. This allows for more personalized and timely communication, leading to better customer relationships and increased customer satisfaction. Social media has also provided businesses with valuable insights and feedback from their customers, allowing them to improve their products and services.

5. What impact has social media had on interpersonal relationships?

Social media has had both positive and negative impacts on interpersonal relationships. On one hand, it has made it easier for people to maintain long-distance relationships and stay connected with friends and family. On the other hand, it has also led to a decrease in face-to-face interactions, which can affect the quality of relationships. Social media has also been linked to feelings of jealousy, comparison, and addiction, which can harm interpersonal relationships.