Creating a Synchronized Pulsed DC Speed Control Circuit for Brushless DC Motors

• Thread starter BilPrestonEsq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, a speed control circuit for a brushless DC motor can be designed using an H-bridge circuit, which uses PWM for speed (and direction) control.
BilPrestonEsq
How would one go about creating a speed control circuit for a brushless DC motor? I need two circuits to pulse DC in one direction, pause, reverse polarity, pause, and repeat. And I need the two circuits to be synchronized. I also need them to be opposite of each other in there polarity.(when one circuit is pulsed Neg. the other is pulsed Pos.) Ineed to control the speed at which this is happening. Does anyone have any information on this or a link to a site that explains it clearly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My mistake, I just need one circuit that can do what I described from 1 DC source(battery bank) So I need to pulse DC in one direction, pause, Pulse DC in opposite direction, pause and repeat. And I need to control the speed at which this is happening. Thanks for any help. And I need to do this without brushes.

BilPrestonEsq said:
My mistake, I just need one circuit that can do what I described from 1 DC source(battery bank) So I need to pulse DC in one direction, pause, Pulse DC in opposite direction, pause and repeat. And I need to control the speed at which this is happening. Thanks for any help. And I need to do this without brushes.

Traditionally you do it with an H-bridge circuit, and you use PWM for speed (and direction) control:

http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLL_enUS301US302&q=h-bridge+pwm+motor+driver

Thanks Berkeman. So I found some diagrams but they are way over my head at the moment. Learning how a transistor works is probably a good start. My problem right now with understanding complicated circuit diagrams is that they don't really show how a current moves through it and why. I get inductors,capacitors and resistors but transistors not so much. What do you think would be a good start in understanding this stuff?Ifthere was only an animation showing the path of the current and why, that would be great, but I haven't been able to find anything like that. Also the speed controller in not so obvious. I would imagine there would be some kind of 'lever' in the diagram that you would move to increase the frequency of the current in the circuit increasing the speed of the motor.

BilPrestonEsq said:
Thanks Berkeman. So I found some diagrams but they are way over my head at the moment. Learning how a transistor works is probably a good start. My problem right now with understanding complicated circuit diagrams is that they don't really show how a current moves through it and why. I get inductors,capacitors and resistors but transistors not so much. What do you think would be a good start in understanding this stuff?Ifthere was only an animation showing the path of the current and why, that would be great, but I haven't been able to find anything like that. Also the speed controller in not so obvious. I would imagine there would be some kind of 'lever' in the diagram that you would move to increase the frequency of the current in the circuit increasing the speed of the motor.

I googled h-bridge tutorial, and got lots of hits that look like they might help you:

http://www.google.com/search?source...&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=h-bridge+tutorial

BTW, there are h-bridge ICs available that package up the transistors for you. They would be the easiest way to start a project.

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CC4QsAQwAQ

Yea I guess this is something not easily answered but thanks for the tip. I know what direction to look now in understanding how that circuit works, but I have a little studying to do. Thanks again

If your intent is not to roll-your-own speed controller but utilize one, you might find one available at the ratings you need. They come under the name electronic speed control or ESC for three phase brushless DC motors. Those I am aware of are for model airplanes and cars running up to 80 VDC input and perhaps 30 amps. The speed control is via pulse width.

For both forward and reverse control you would have to find one that specifically does this--if you try to use two in anti-parallel their microcontrollers will get confused.

Last edited:
Dear BilPrestonEsq,
My friend is working on this project. He has designed a speed control circuit of Brushless DC motor. I have seen his designed circuit once, it includes two push buttons that increase and decrease the speed of Brushless DC motor, one LCD that displays motor's current speed.
If you need some technical assistance from him than i may provide his email address to you.

ssana said:
Dear BilPrestonEsq,
My friend is working on this project. He has designed a speed control circuit of Brushless DC motor. I have seen his designed circuit once, it includes two push buttons that increase and decrease the speed of Brushless DC motor, one LCD that displays motor's current speed.
If you need some technical assistance from him than i may provide his email address to you.

Hmm...Thank you, sure if he won't mind. I definitely need some technical assistance!:biggrin:
I can't use buttons on my project but it would definitely help me out.
I still don't even know what I designed...really.
I understand how it works but not what it is called!
First I thought I designed a BLDC motor then a syncronous ac motor then I got real confused and called it a induction motor(WRONG) so then I read that a BLDC motor is essentially the same as synchronous ac motor. What I do know is it would work and how it works. I just don't know what kind of circuit I need to power it exactly.
Anyways...probably didn't need to get into all that...Yeah let me know. Thanks again.

1. What is a synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit?

A synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit is a type of circuit that uses pulses of direct current (DC) to control the speed of a brushless DC motor. The pulses are synchronized with the rotation of the motor in order to achieve precise speed control.

2. Why is a synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit needed for brushless DC motors?

Brushless DC motors require a specific type of control in order to operate efficiently and effectively. A synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit is necessary because it allows for precise speed control and minimizes energy consumption, resulting in better performance and longer lifespan of the motor.

3. How does a synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit work?

The circuit consists of a microcontroller or specialized IC that generates pulses of DC current. These pulses are then delivered to the motor through a set of transistors, which switch the current on and off at specific intervals. The pulses are synchronized with the rotation of the motor, allowing for precise speed control.

4. What are the benefits of using a synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit?

One of the main benefits of using this type of circuit is its efficiency. By controlling the motor's speed with pulses of DC current, energy consumption is minimized, resulting in cost savings and longer lifespan of the motor. Additionally, the precise speed control provided by this circuit allows for smoother operation and better performance.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a synchronized pulsed DC speed control circuit?

One potential drawback is the complexity of designing and implementing this type of circuit. It may also require additional components, such as a microcontroller or specialized IC, which can add to the cost. However, the benefits often outweigh any potential drawbacks, making this type of circuit a popular choice for controlling brushless DC motors.