Disproving the Statement: A Contradiction in Set Theory | Proof Help

In summary, the statement "For all sets A, B, C ∈ P(U), if A ⊆ C and B ⊆ C, then A ⊆ B or B ⊆ A" is false and can be disproved by providing a counterexample. One such counterexample is given by defining sets A={a,b,c}, B=A, C={b,c}, and D={a,c}, where C ⊆ B, D ⊆ B, but C is not a subset of D and D is not a subset of C. This disproves the statement and shows that it is not always true that if A and B are subsets of C, then A must be a subset of B or B must be a subset of A.
INdeWATERS
I am having issues with a proof, as follows.
*U = universal set , P(U) = power set of a universal set

For all sets A, B, C ∈ P(U), if A ⊆ C and B ⊆ C, then A ⊆ B or B ⊆ A.

I am pretty sure the statement is false and so I have to disprove it, i.e. prove the negation. I am stuck on how to negate. My attempts are as follows...

(1) There exist sets A, B, C ∈ P(U) such that A ⊆ C or B ⊆ C and A ⊄ B and B ⊄ A.
(2) There exist sets A, B, C ∈ P(U) such that if A ⊆ C or B ⊆ C then A ⊄ B and B ⊄ A.

Would the contrapositive of the statement be easier to work with??
For all sets A, B, C ∈ P(U), if A ⊆ B or B ⊆ A then, A ⊆ C and B ⊆ C.

Thank you for your time and help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a pair of sets that are not empty and not overlapping and call them A and B. Let C = A∪B. Then obviously both A and B are contained in C, but neither contains the other.

It is really easy to disprove that with an example:

If you have a set as follows, A={a,b,c}, then the power set will be the next,

P(A)={empty,A,{a,b},{b,c},{a,c}}, then if you define B=A, C={b,c}, and D={a,c}, then [tex]C\subsetB[/tex] and [tex]D\subsetB[/tex] but C is not a subset of D, neither D is a subset of C.
q.e.d.

With that example the proff is done

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental theory that serves as a foundation for many other areas of mathematics.

2. What is the purpose of set theory?

The purpose of set theory is to provide a rigorous and formal framework for analyzing and understanding collections of objects. It allows us to define and manipulate sets, and to develop logical and mathematical proofs using set theory notation and concepts.

3. What are the basic concepts in set theory?

The basic concepts in set theory include sets, elements, unions, intersections, subsets, and functions. Sets are collections of objects, elements are the individual objects in a set, unions and intersections are operations that combine sets, subsets are sets contained within other sets, and functions are relationships between sets.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite set?

A finite set is a set with a definite and countable number of elements, while an infinite set has an uncountable or infinite number of elements. For example, the set of all even numbers is infinite, while the set of all numbers between 1 and 10 is finite.

5. How is set theory applied in real life?

Set theory has many applications in real life, including in computer science, statistics, and decision-making. It is used to organize and classify data, to analyze relationships between different groups, and to model real-world situations. For example, set theory can be used in market research to group customers based on their preferences, or in healthcare to classify patients based on their symptoms.