Are Stars Limited to Galaxies or Can They Exist in Intergalactic Space?

In summary, stars can exist both inside and outside of galaxies, but those outside were most likely flung out through galactic collisions. It is possible for a solar system to exist outside of a galaxy, but it is more likely to be found within a galaxy. There are also instances of planets existing outside of galaxies. For more information on the universe and its existence, one can refer to the book "The Dying Sun" by Sir James Jeans.
trentt
Do all stars have to be present inside of a galaxy? Or are there some stars that can be out side in intergalactic space?

I was just curious.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stars are everywhere. They aren't just inside galaxies, although most are.

trentt said:
Do all stars have to be present inside of a galaxy? Or are there some stars that can be out side in intergalactic space?

I was just curious.

Thanks

Most likely any stars which exist outside of a galaxy were born within a galaxy but flung out of it for one reason or another. Probably the most likely possibility is a collision between galaxies, as these often fling constituent stars out into space.

Could a solar system exist outside of a galaxy?

Nicholas2001 said:
Could a solar system exist outside of a galaxy?

Sure, why not. Like I said though, was most likely ejected through some galactic collision.

I think most are no flinged out in a merger, although it happens in mergers, but all you need is a two-, or preferably three-body interaction, these also just happen in a galaxy that is just quietly sitting there. In a merger more stars will be launched per unit time, but the amount of time galaxies spend in a merger is limited. I'm not sure how that equilibrium will work out...

Stars definitely exist outside of galaxies. I've even read about planets that aren't gravitationally bound to any stars/exist outside of galaxies.

google "Hypervelocity stars"

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/oir/sp/hypervel.html

Sir James Jeans in his book "The Dying Sun" has told all about universe and it's existence. if you are curious about the universe take and study.

Thanks
JhonMoney

1. What are stars in intergalactic space?

Stars in intergalactic space are stars that exist in the vast space between galaxies. These stars are not part of any particular galaxy and are considered to be "rogue" stars, as they do not orbit around a central galaxy like most stars do.

2. How do stars form in intergalactic space?

The formation of stars in intergalactic space is not yet fully understood. It is believed that they may form from gas and dust clouds that were ejected from galaxies during collisions or interactions between galaxies. Other theories suggest that they may form from the collapse of intergalactic gas clouds or the merging of smaller stars.

3. What is the difference between intergalactic stars and stars in galaxies?

The main difference between intergalactic stars and stars in galaxies is their location. Intergalactic stars are found in the vast space between galaxies, while stars in galaxies are part of a larger structure of stars, gas, and dust bound together by gravity. Additionally, intergalactic stars are often considered to be "lonely" stars, as they do not typically have any companions or orbit around a central galaxy.

4. Can we see intergalactic stars from Earth?

Yes, some intergalactic stars can be observed from Earth using telescopes. However, due to their distance and low luminosity, they are often difficult to detect. Scientists have identified some intergalactic stars in our own Milky Way galaxy, but observing them in other galaxies is more challenging.

5. Why are intergalactic stars important to study?

Intergalactic stars provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. Their existence challenges our current understanding of how stars form and how they interact with their environment. Studying these stars can also help us learn more about the history and composition of the universe.