Differential Equations or Linear Algebra?

In summary: You need to know Calculus to do any of the computations though. Integration is used a lot to solve many equations.
Kidphysics
What to take first? Much help would be appreciated: Just took calc 1 and discrete mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should definitely take Calc. II so that you'll be able to do the integration required in ODE (ordinary diff. eq.). Linear algebra doesn't rely on these topics so you might want to take that.

Oh for sure.. I'm planning on all the calcs.. I knew differential equations had a connection to ideas of calculus. Should I take Linear Algebra with matrix theory?

DiffEQ IS calculus.

You can take linearalgebra without calc II, and it would do you good for difeQ as well. (some ideas come into play when solving systems of linear differential equations)

Are you a math major? Even if not, taking calc II and linear algebra together would be a good choice IMO.

don't take differential equations till you've mastered integration - you'll be doing tons of it.

pergradus said:
DiffEQ IS calculus.

You can take linearalgebra without calc II, and it would do you good for difeQ as well. (some ideas come into play when solving systems of linear differential equations)

Are you a math major? Even if not, taking calc II and linear algebra together would be a good choice IMO.

don't take differential equations till you've mastered integration - you'll be doing tons of it.

Hmm I'll be taking calc 2 and modern algebra... so calc 3 with linear equations? Math is my minor yes.

I think that Linear Algebra is more preferable than Differential Equation. The problem I have with DE is that all you get is a toolkit for solving the equations. If the problem you get is not the types you have learned to solve, you just can't solve it. It isn't like simple high school geometry where you can solve the problem no matter how complex it is if you have got the right mindset.

Linear algebra is fun if you have got a good teacher.

Frankly speaking, if you are really interested and not taking the course just for the degree, I would advice you to take other courses if available because Sal Khan also teaches both of them and posted the videos http://www.khanacademy.org/" for free, and his teaching is interesting and great. He is a great teacher!

Last edited by a moderator:
If your DE course is more than a cookbook for solving some standard types of equations, the math will use the concepts from linear algebra, so take that first.

Yea take Calc2 and Linear Algebra before Diff EQ. I just took Diff Eq and linear algebra makes its appearance in every single chapter. I have taken LA yet so you can succeed easily in Diff Eq but your understanding of the subject will be much greater if you take LA first.

You need to know Calculus to do any of the computations though. Integration is used a lot to solve many equations.

1. What is the difference between differential equations and linear algebra?

Differential equations and linear algebra are two branches of mathematics that deal with different concepts. Differential equations focus on finding the relationship between a function and its derivatives, while linear algebra deals with linear transformations and systems of linear equations.

2. What are some real-world applications of differential equations and linear algebra?

Differential equations and linear algebra have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include modeling of population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, designing electrical circuits, and analyzing financial markets.

3. How are differential equations and linear algebra related?

Linear algebra is often used to solve systems of differential equations, as it provides tools for manipulating matrices and vectors. Additionally, many concepts in linear algebra, such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors, have applications in solving differential equations.

4. What are the key concepts in differential equations and linear algebra?

In differential equations, key concepts include finding solutions to differential equations, stability analysis, and numerical methods for solving equations. In linear algebra, key concepts include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of differential equations and linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of these concepts, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and attending lectures or workshops can also help deepen your understanding.