Understanding Group Velocity: Exploring Surface Waves and Storm Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses surface waves generated by a mid-Atlantic storm and their arrival at the British coast. The period of the waves is initially 15 seconds and then decreases to 12.5 seconds a day later. The question is posed about the distance of the storm's occurrence based on these changes in period. The group velocity and phase velocity equations are mentioned, with the former being proportional to 1/T and the latter being twice as fast. The final answer is found to be approximately 5000km using the time difference between the arrivals of the two waves.
Deadstar

Homework Statement

Surface waves generated by a mid-Atlantic storm arrive at the British coast with period 15 seconds. A day later the period of the waves has dropped to 12.5 seconds. Roughly how far away did the storm occur?

Homework Equations

Group velocity [tex]c = \frac{\omega}{2k}[/tex]

[tex]\omega = (gk)^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First problem is...

Group velocity is proportional to 1/T so why are the longer periods arriving first? Shouldn't they move slower and thus arrive after the smaller period waves.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
w/k or equivalently (2pi/T)/(2pi/lambda) is actually the phase velocity.

Group velocity is the derivative of w (your dispersion relation, thing with the square root) with respect to k.

Looks like doing that gives you a smaller number in the denominator for your phase velocity. Which travels faster?

Last edited:
Lavabug said:
w/k or equivalently (2pi/T)/(2pi/lambda) is actually the phase velocity.

Group velocity is the derivative of w (your dispersion relation, thing with the square root) with respect to k.

Looks like doing that gives you a smaller number in the denominator for your phase velocity. Which travels faster?

Oops missed a half but given that [tex]\omega = (gk)^{1/2}[/tex]

Group velocity is therefore [tex]\frac{1}{2}(g/k)^{1/2} = \frac{\omega}{2k}[/tex] which won't change my problem. I don't really know what you're last line is asking. Same result as before.

It looks like your phase velocity is proportional to 1/T, but your group velocity is proportional to 1/2T. The group velocity is slower. That's all I can think of right now.

Lavabug said:
It looks like your phase velocity is proportional to 1/T, but your group velocity is proportional to 1/2T. The group velocity is slower. That's all I can think of right now.

Ok no worries. The answer to the question is waves of period T arrive at the coast from distance d in time [tex]\frac{4 \pi d}{g T}[/tex] but I have no idea why that is. To be honest I find this question vague...

Also...
When you say proportional to you generally ignore constants so I'd still say proportional to 1/T.

Edit: Figured it out.

Cool. Could you elaborate? I'm curious.

and what I should have said was: your phase velocity is twice as fast as your group velocity. :p

Lavabug said:
Cool. Could you elaborate? I'm curious.

and what I should have said was: your phase velocity is twice as fast as your group velocity. :p

Yeah sure.

Right so... This only really came about because the answer had written it above as time taken whereas I was just really playing about with distance ratios... Time taken (t) for wave to arrive from distance d is...
[tex]t = \frac{d}{\omega /2k}[/tex]
Consider dispersion relation [tex]\omega^2 = gk[/tex] then [tex]\frac{g}{\omega} = \frac{\omega}{k}[/tex] hence
[tex]\frac{\omega}{2k} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{g}{\omega} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{gT}{2 \pi} = \frac{gT}{4 \pi}[/tex] since [tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/tex]
So...
[tex]t = \frac{4 \pi d}{gT}[/tex]

Now I can't get the right distance though. Should be roughly 5000km but I get 843km. Not sure how to use both periods to get the right answer given that I don't know how long it took either wave to arrive or d. (Using a day for the second wave gets the 843km above)

Ok figured it out... Seems I can figure out stuff after I post it up here. Sometimes it's just good to empty your head for a second.

d is constant so just got to find t1 and t2 (times of respective waves) and can use t2-t1 = 1 day. You get t1 = 5 days and t2 = 6 days, d = 5058km.

I was always told that (and my PhD is in waves) that:

[tex]
c=\frac{d\omega}{dk}
[/tex]

hence the group velocity is:

[tex]
c=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{g}{k}}\Rightarrow T=\frac{4\pi c}{g}
[/tex]

1. What is group velocity?

Group velocity is the velocity at which the energy of a wave packet (a group of waves) propagates. It is the velocity of the envelope of the group of waves, rather than the velocity of individual waves within the group.

2. How is group velocity different from phase velocity?

Phase velocity is the velocity at which the phase of a single wave component propagates through space. Group velocity takes into account the contribution of all the waves in a group and represents the overall velocity of the group of waves.

3. Can the group velocity of a wave exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel, including the group velocity of a wave.

4. How is group velocity related to dispersion?

Group velocity is inversely proportional to the rate of dispersion, meaning that as dispersion increases, the group velocity decreases. This is because dispersion causes different wavelengths to travel at different speeds, resulting in the separation of a wave packet and a decrease in group velocity.

5. How is group velocity measured?

Group velocity can be measured by tracking the movement of a wave packet over a certain distance and dividing by the time it takes for the packet to travel that distance. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the frequency and wavelength of the waves in the group.