Coefficient of rolling friction steel over aluminium

In summary, finding the rolling resistance coefficient for steel on aluminium may require searching through published papers and journals, as well as reaching out to experts in the field for additional information.
Telemachus
Hi there. The thing is that in my laboratory project me and my companion tried to determine the rolling coefficient resistance for a steel ball rolling over an inclined plane of aluminium. Everything is fine till there, I've donde almost all the work. The thing is that I wanted to reference previous works about this topic. What I'm trying to find is some book which gives this rolling resistance. I've found for steel over steel, but I couldn't find the rolling resistance coefficient for steel on aluminium. I've been looking in many engineering books, but I didn't find anything. Does anyone know where to find this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be difficult to find the exact rolling resistance coefficient for steel on aluminium. One option is to try searching through journals or papers that have already been published on this subject. You can search for papers and journals on the topic using online databases such as IEEE Xplore, Science Direct, SciFinder, Google Scholar, and more. Additionally, you may be able to contact experts in the field to see if they have any data or information that may be relevant to your research.

1. What is the coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium?

The coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium varies depending on the specific materials and surface conditions. However, on average, it is around 0.03 for steel rolling over aluminium.

2. How does the coefficient of rolling friction affect the efficiency of a steel-aluminium rolling system?

The coefficient of rolling friction has a significant impact on the efficiency of a steel-aluminium rolling system. A higher coefficient of friction means more resistance to motion, resulting in a lower efficiency and more energy required to move the materials.

3. Can the coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium be reduced?

Yes, the coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication, polishing the surfaces, and using different materials with lower coefficients of friction.

4. How does the coefficient of rolling friction change over time?

The coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature, and surface contamination. It is essential to monitor and maintain the surfaces to ensure consistent and optimal friction coefficients.

5. What other factors can affect the coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium?

Apart from surface conditions and material properties, the coefficient of rolling friction between steel and aluminium can also be influenced by factors such as loading force, rolling velocity, and surface roughness. These factors should be considered when designing and optimizing a steel-aluminium rolling system.