Beyond the Star Trek Universe - Lawrence Krauss

In summary: Yes and no, this is not suppressing the inertia merely making the human body able to sustain higher G forces.
Routaran
Hey all,
I was watching a talk by Layrence Krauss on what might be possible from all the science fiction in star trek. One thing that he mentioned was that everyone comitted suicide in the show everytime they said engage! because of the massive G forces due to acceleration. The writers got around this problem by inventing the inertial dampeners.

Anyway, he said that while it was not trivial to imagine how to implement a device such as the inertial dampeners, it was possible. He left it for the Q&A part of the talk but no one asked him about it.

I was wondering if anyone here had an idea on what he thought might be the solution as I am very curious on how one could sneak a fast one by Newton.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Routaran said:
Hey all,
I was watching a talk by Layrence Krauss on what might be possible from all the science fiction in star trek. One thing that he mentioned was that everyone comitted suicide in the show everytime they said engage! because of the massive G forces due to acceleration. The writers got around this problem by inventing the inertial dampeners.

Anyway, he said that while it was not trivial to imagine how to implement a device such as the inertial dampeners, it was possible. He left it for the Q&A part of the talk but no one asked him about it.

I was wondering if anyone here had an idea on what he thought might be the solution as I am very curious on how one could sneak a fast one by Newton.

Thanks

I think a GR solution contraption would be very speculative. Practically, immerse people in a spine-fitting seat surrounded by a neutral buoyancy fluid, supine to the acceleration.

danR said:
Practically, immerse people in a spine-fitting seat surrounded by a neutral buoyancy fluid, supine to the acceleration.

Yes and no, this is not suppressing the inertia merely making the human body able to sustain higher G forces.

As far as I am aware there is no way known to physics (theoretical or otherwise) to make inertia magically disappear.

ryan_m_b said:
Yes and no, this is not suppressing the inertia merely making the human body able to sustain higher G forces.

As far as I am aware there is no way known to physics (theoretical or otherwise) to make inertia magically disappear.

Right. I picked on 'dampeners' as suitably broad. There's no such thing as anti-g suits, elsewhere, but that's what they are called. The body and the suit are still party to 'g-forces'.

Actually, I think it is more accurate to say that it was the impulse engines that would cause the massive G-Forces. The warp drive causes the ship go into subspace right? I could believe that both speed and inertia are different there, while impulse engines only operate in normal space and are subject to real world physics.

Yeah. The impulse engines is what he was talking about. He used the example of a car accelerating from 0-60mph in a few seconds and compared it to the enterprise going from 0 to 0.5c in a few seconds.

The warp drives are like the Alcubierre warp drive and so when activated they would all still be floating around in free fall. What would kill them is the near infinite blue shift they would receive from trying to go FTL, that and the heart attacks they would all get from seeing their energy bill (IIRC a warp drive would take a few solar masses to transport a molecule across the galaxy...)

Going back to danR's post on putting the occupant in this fluid. Would this solution provide enough to support the body against the massive amount of g forces? I realize this is very speculative but I am very curious under what circumstances this may happen.

Routaran said:
Going back to danR's post on putting the occupant in this fluid, would it do enough to counter act the extreme levels of g forces? It doesntneed to be practical, I am happy with possible.

You would have to homogenise the density across the body as much as possible, this means filling the gut and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing#Space_travel" (potentially impossible). This will help you to a certain extent but there would still be issues eventually as the body is damaged due to the compression even through the liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Routaran said:
Going back to danR's post on putting the occupant in this fluid. Would this solution provide enough to support the body against the massive amount of g forces? I realize this is very speculative but I am very curious under what circumstances this may happen.

0.5c/s2 could be rather annoying, I must concede. I wasn't up to speed on what the drive was about.

ryan_m_b said:
You would have to homogenise the density across the body as much as possible, this means filling the gut and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing#Space_travel" (potentially impossible). This will help you to a certain extent but there would still be issues eventually as the body is damaged due to the compression even through the liquid.

filling the lungs with breathable liquid is already done for very deep diving. how to get it through the rest of the gut may be a problem ;)

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
filling the lungs with breathable liquid is already done for very deep diving. how to get it through the rest of the gut may be a problem ;)

Dave

As far as I am aware it's been done experimentally but there's been no way of making it safe or efficient.

ryan_m_b said:
As far as I am aware it's been done experimentally but there's been no way of making it safe or efficient.

At the accelerations they're talking about (.5c/sec^2) it won't matter anyway. The slightest differences in tissue density will result in homogenization even of the containment equipment.

Do we know how big a difference this will make in principle with respect to withstanding a given number of g's?

Routaran said:
Do we know how big a difference this will make in principle with respect to withstanding a given number of g's?

That's an engineering question. But if you want to escape the Klingons, a good escape speed will need more g's than the g-suit above.

You really need a high-end GR inertial-'force' cancellation field generator. That's not new engineering, that's new science at a very fundamental level.

Even in a g-suit the body would still face damage to vital organs at high g's for prolonged periods. John Stapp (US fighter pilot) took part in some high g tests (20-40gs) but suffered damage to his retinas leading to poor eyesight.

A g suit would help spread the g's out (i.e. prevent you suffocating) but prolonged exposure to tens of gs for minutes is going to damage your eyes, heart and probably brain.

ryan_m_b said:
Even in a g-suit the body would still face damage to vital organs at high g's for prolonged periods. John Stapp (US fighter pilot) took part in some high g tests (20-40gs) but suffered damage to his retinas leading to poor eyesight.

A g suit would help spread the g's out (i.e. prevent you suffocating) but prolonged exposure to tens of gs for minutes is going to damage your eyes, heart and probably brain.

That's interesting because the eyes are already all-fluid, and ensconced conformably in the sockets. On the other hand, there is a channel leading to the nasal passage; there's the nasal cavity and pharynx, etc.

That wouldn't apply to our high-end total immersion unit, but at the accelerations we need, it would still crush the body and suit to a thin film.

danR said:
That's interesting because the eyes are already all-fluid, and ensconced conformably in the sockets. On the other hand, there is a channel leading to the nasal passage; there's the nasal cavity and pharynx, etc.

That wouldn't apply to our high-end total immersion unit, but at the accelerations we need, it would still crush the body and suit to a thin film.

The fact that it's liquid won't protect your tissues from high g's. As far as I am aware the only advantage to liquid breathing is that it makes breathing easier, your body will still be pressed against whatever surface you are being pushed against.

But yes, we've well and truly debunked the star trek idea. The only possible way that this could work is if one could turn gravity and inertia on/off. As you pointed out this isn't just fancy tech it's completely new physics.

ryan_m_b said:
The fact that it's liquid won't protect your tissues from high g's. As far as I am aware the only advantage to liquid breathing is that it makes breathing easier, your body will still be pressed against whatever surface you are being pushed against.

But yes, we've well and truly debunked the star trek idea. The only possible way that this could work is if one could turn gravity and inertia on/off. As you pointed out this isn't just fancy tech it's completely new physics.

Even immersed in a fluid, and all cavities filled with a fluid, things have different densities. Bones and cartilage, etc. Which is how an ultracentrifuge separates viruses and even proteins. At 50,000 g's even the total external and internal 'suit' would probably crush the rib cage, tear out the inner-ear bones, the larynx, etc.

danR said:
Even immersed in a fluid, and all cavities filled with a fluid, things have different densities. Bones and cartilage, etc. Which is how an ultracentrifuge separates viruses and even proteins. At 50,000 g's even the total external and internal 'suit' would probably crush the rib cage, tear out the inner-ear bones, the larynx, etc.

Low gs for longer times will do a similar trick. We don't even have to look at gross anatomy to find examples of this, cellular organelles/membranes all have slightly different densities. Also on the subject of g-suits for space I wonder if any brain damage could ensue from having blood constantly pushed to the posterior of the skull?

I would imagine so. Vessels popping due to excessive pressure would be commonplace.
Thanks for the discussion. I had imagined that the solution may have been simpler than a reworking of physics but its still good to know the kind of changes that would be requires for a concept like this to work.

1. What is the premise of "Beyond the Star Trek Universe"?

"Beyond the Star Trek Universe" is a book written by Lawrence Krauss that explores the scientific concepts behind the popular TV show, Star Trek. It delves into the real-life physics and theories that are used in the show and how they relate to our understanding of the universe.

2. Is "Beyond the Star Trek Universe" only for fans of Star Trek?

No, "Beyond the Star Trek Universe" is not just for fans of the show. It is written in a way that is accessible to anyone interested in science and the mysteries of the universe. While knowledge of the show may enhance the reading experience, it is not necessary to understand the concepts presented in the book.

3. What makes "Beyond the Star Trek Universe" different from other science books?

"Beyond the Star Trek Universe" is unique because it uses the popular science fiction show as a starting point to discuss real scientific theories and concepts. It also includes interviews with Star Trek actors and creators, providing a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the show. This combination of science and pop culture makes the book both educational and entertaining.

4. Can I learn about new scientific discoveries from "Beyond the Star Trek Universe"?

Yes, "Beyond the Star Trek Universe" discusses the latest scientific discoveries and theories, such as gravitational waves, black holes, and the search for extraterrestrial life. It also examines how these concepts are portrayed in the Star Trek universe and the current state of our understanding of them.

5. Is "Beyond the Star Trek Universe" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Beyond the Star Trek Universe" is suitable for all ages. It is written in a way that is easy to understand for both young adults and adults. However, younger readers may struggle with some of the more complex scientific concepts discussed in the book.