Static gauge for strings in curved background

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of static gauge in string theory and its applicability in curved target spaces. It is shown that for general geometries, it may not be possible to choose the static gauge and the light-cone gauge due to an inhomogeneous term in the geodesic equation. The question of whether a classical string in a curved spacetime only has transverse degrees of freedom is also raised. It is noted that conformal gauge and light-cone gauge can only be simultaneously applied if there is a covariantly constant null vector.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a question about the static gauge in string theory, in which one sets

[tex]
\tau = X^0
[/tex]

I understand that in the usual approach for strings in a flat target space, after the gauge fixing of the worldsheet metric gamma,

[tex]
\gamma_{\alpha\beta} = \eta_{\alpha\beta}
[/tex]

one still has enough gauge symmetry left to choose the static gauge. See e.g. (2.3.7) of Green, Schwarz, Witten. My question is the following.

If one considers classical strings in curved target spaces, the wave equation for the embedding coordinates becomes

[tex]
\gamma^{\alpha\beta}(\partial_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} X^{\rho} + \partial_{\alpha} X^{\mu} \partial_{\beta} X^{\nu} \Gamma^{\rho}_{\mu\nu}) = 0
[/tex]

Here alpha,beta,... are 0,1, while mu,nu,rho run from 0,...,D-1. First, one can choose the conformal gauge,

[tex]
\eta^{\alpha\beta}(\partial_{\alpha} \partial_{\beta} X^{\rho} + \partial_{\alpha} X^{\mu} \partial_{\beta} X^{\nu} \Gamma^{\rho}_{\mu\nu}) = 0
[/tex]

My question is: is one still able to choose after this conformal gauge for the worldsheet metric the static gauge for tau? The question arises, because the remaining gauge symmetries for tau and sigma show that the transformed tau obeys a free wave equation, see (2.3.7) of Green, Schwarz, Witten. However, X^0 obeys the equation above, which is not a free wave equation.

Any suggestions? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For general geometries, one apparently cannot choose this static gauge anymore (only in a point) because of the inhomogenous term in the geodesic equation. For the same reason the lightcone gauge cannot be chosen, so it seems to me that the usual argument that only the transverse coordinates [itex]X^I[/itex], where I=2,3,...,D-1 are "true degrees of freedom" might break down, although this seems a bit counterintuitive to me.

So my question is: does a classical string in a curved spacetime only have transverse degrees of freedom, as in the flat case?

Last edited:
Nobody here knows of a general statement that one can always (or: for arbitrary backgrounds) gauge away the longitudinal coordinates such that the transverse coordinates [itex]X^I[/itex] stay as "true degrees of freedom"?

Is this just a silly question, or is it beyond textbook?

1. What is a static gauge for strings in curved background?

A static gauge is a mathematical tool used to describe the location and motion of a string in a curved background. It is a specific choice of coordinates and parametrization that simplifies the equations of motion for the string.

2. How is a static gauge chosen for a string in curved background?

A static gauge is typically chosen by setting one of the coordinates to be equal to the proper time along the string's worldsheet. This reduces the number of independent variables in the equations of motion and simplifies the calculations.

3. What is the purpose of using a static gauge for strings in curved background?

The purpose of using a static gauge is to make calculations and analysis of strings in curved background easier. By choosing a specific coordinate system, the equations of motion can be simplified and solutions can be found more easily.

4. Can a static gauge be used for all types of strings in curved background?

Yes, a static gauge can be used for all types of strings in curved background. However, the choice of gauge may differ depending on the specific problem and desired outcomes.

5. Are there any limitations to using a static gauge for strings in curved background?

One limitation of using a static gauge is that it may not always be the most convenient choice for a particular problem. In some cases, a different choice of gauge may make the equations of motion more complicated, but may lead to a more elegant solution.