Epoxy Conductivity, Expansion & Contraction

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Epoxy
In summary, epoxy is a versatile material with different types and properties. Most epoxies have poor thermal and electrical conductivity, but conductive metal-filled and high thermal conductivity versions are available. Epoxy also has low expansion and contraction after curing. For your specific needs, you may want to look into non-conductive, opaque conformal coat options, which can be found through vendors like CPC-Farnell.
yungman
What is the conductivity of epoxy when dry? Also is there any expansion or contraction when epoxy cure? That is if you fill epoxy in a gap, would it pull or push the two side when dry?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Epoxy comes in many varied types and materials

Most epoxies have poor thermal and electrical conductivity and are also non-magnetic. However, you can get conductive metal-filled epoxies. You can also get epoxy with high thermal conductivity and low electrical conductivity which are used in electronics. And there is usually no expansion or contraction after curing. You may find what you need here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#epoxies

Thanks for the reply. I definitely need non conductive type. I use it to cover electronic surface mount components on printed circuit board. I want the type that is opaque so people cannot see through. I need it to not expend or contract when set because I have seen potting materials pulling components apart when set and the circuit board stop working after potting.

Thanks for all your help as I don't know anything about epoxy.

Anyone please?

What you're looking for is called 'conformal coat'.

Last edited:

1. What is epoxy conductivity?

Epoxy conductivity refers to the ability of epoxy resins to conduct electricity. This is achieved by incorporating conductive fillers such as carbon, metal, or graphite into the epoxy mixture. The conductivity of epoxy can be tailored by adjusting the type and amount of filler used.

2. How does epoxy expansion and contraction affect its performance?

Epoxy expansion and contraction can have a significant impact on its performance. These changes occur due to temperature fluctuations and can cause stress on the epoxy structure, leading to cracking or delamination. It is essential to consider the coefficient of thermal expansion when selecting an epoxy for a specific application.

3. What factors affect epoxy conductivity?

The conductivity of epoxy can be influenced by several factors, such as the type and amount of conductive filler used, the curing process, and the environment. Higher filler content and a more thorough curing process can increase the epoxy's conductivity, while exposure to moisture or temperature changes can decrease it.

4. How is epoxy conductivity measured?

Epoxy conductivity is typically measured by its resistance to electrical current. The lower the resistance, the higher the conductivity. This can be measured using a multimeter or specialized equipment such as a four-point probe. The measurement is usually expressed in ohms per square inch (Ω/in²) or ohms per cubic inch (Ω/in³).

5. What are the applications of conductive epoxy?

Conductive epoxy has a wide range of applications, including electronics, aerospace, automotive, and medical industries. It is commonly used for bonding and encapsulating electronic components, creating conductive traces on circuit boards, and shielding electronic devices from electromagnetic interference. It is also used in the production of sensors, batteries, and fuel cells.