The nature of causality in special relativity (not faster than light travel)

In summary, special relativity reconciles the concept of causality by stating that events in different frames of reference cannot be causally connected. However, the big bang provides a preferred frame of reference in which space itself expanded from the big bang.
Functor97
I am having trouble understanding how special relativity reconciles the concept of causality. In one frame of reference event A may be followed by event B, but in another frame of reference event B may occur before event A. In the first frame of reference an observer may claim that event A causes event B, but of course the second frame of reference will disagree. I am sure i am making a simple mistake here...

Furthermore, how does special relativity deal with the concept of a big bang singularity? I am aware that general relativity is the domain of acceleration (thus inflation), but is it not possible for there to be a preferred frame of reference with respect to some big bang singularity qualifier? (I am aware that this is vague, but the fact that the universe was once a singularity troubles me with respect to the "no frame of reference preferred" result of special relativity).

Physics news on Phys.org
When the order of two events is frame dependent, that implies they cannot be be causally connected. The fallacy of you statement is saying A caused B, or the reverse.

A little more: such frame dependent order of events only occurs for events with spacelike separation, which means that neither can cause the other - they are said to be causally independent.

As for the big bang, I am guessing you are picturing the big bang as occurring in some 'place' in a pre-existing space. This is not correct. Space itself expanded from the big bang. However, there is a sense that the big bang provides a preferred frame. Not in the sense of 'you must use it', nor in the sense that the laws of physics are simpler; but in the sense that you can locally detect your motion relative to the cosmic background radiation. If you see it as isotropic, you are a 'comoving' observer, moving with the expanding space without any extra motion.

PAllen said:
When the order of two events is frame dependent, that implies they cannot be be causally connected. The fallacy of you statement is saying A caused B, or the reverse.

A little more: such frame dependent order of events only occurs for events with spacelike separation, which means that neither can cause the other - they are said to be causally independent.

As for the big bang, I am guessing you are picturing the big bang as occurring in some 'place' in a pre-existing space. This is not correct. Space itself expanded from the big bang. However, there is a sense that the big bang provides a preferred frame. Not in the sense of 'you must use it', nor in the sense that the laws of physics are simpler; but in the sense that you can locally detect your motion relative to the cosmic background radiation. If you see it as isotropic, you are a 'comoving' observer, moving with the expanding space without any extra motion.

Thanks, i realize my mistake now! That was quite silly.

1. What is causality in special relativity?

Causality is the concept that events in the universe are connected through a cause-and-effect relationship. In special relativity, this means that the order of events is preserved and cannot be reversed.

2. How does special relativity affect causality?

Special relativity states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that time and space are relative, and the concept of causality must also be adapted to account for this.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the energy required to accelerate it further becomes infinite.

4. How does special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation is a consequence of special relativity where time appears to pass slower for an object in motion relative to an observer. This is because as an object's speed increases, its perception of time slows down. This is not just a perception, but a measurable effect.

5. What implications does special relativity have for causality in the universe?

Special relativity has shown that causality is not absolute and can be affected by an observer's perspective and relative motion. This means that events that may seem simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another. It also suggests that the concept of a single, universal "now" is not valid in special relativity.