What Topics Should an Undergraduate Study in Math and Physics for Self-Study?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying undergraduate mathematics and is interested in continuing to study math and physics through self study. They are looking for suggestions on interesting topics to focus on and are particularly drawn to the weirdness of quantum mechanics, as well as general relativity, special relativity, and vector calculus. They also enjoy working with math that has physical meaning and are open to using tools like spreadsheets and Mathematica for graphs. They are interested in becoming knowledgeable in a specific field, but are unsure of which one to choose.
bugatti79
Folks,

I am currently studying undergraduate final year degree in mathematics. I have covered QM's, PDE's and currently studying Functional analysis and vector calculus/complex variables.

I hope to finish the degree middle of next year, however I would like to continue studying math/physics in the form of self study. There are so much interesting topics out there that I don't know what to choose.

I like the weirdness of QM's.
Also think General Relativity/S.R would be interesting.
I also like the visual/graphical representation of vector calculus.
I like to work with math that has physical meaning.
Maybe throw in some speadsheets, mathematica for graphs etc.

Could anyone suggest interesting topics for an undergraduate to take up? I know its a very vague question but at least I might get some ideas? Would like to become knowledgeable in a particular field however small...

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:
Folks,

I am currently studying undergraduate final year degree in mathematics. I have covered QM's, PDE's and currently studying Functional analysis and vector calculus/complex variables.

I hope to finish the degree middle of next year, however I would like to continue studying math/physics in the form of self study. There are so much interesting topics out there that I don't know what to choose.

I like the weirdness of QM's.
Also think General Relativity/S.R would be interesting.
I also like the visual/graphical representation of vector calculus.
I like to work with math that has physical meaning.
Maybe throw in some speadsheets, mathematica for graphs etc.

Could anyone suggest interesting topics for an undergraduate to take up? I know its a very vague question but at least I might get some ideas? Would like to become knowledgeable in a particular field however small...
The really interesting, and technically solvable, problems are, imho, in condensed matter physics. So, maybe concentrate on QM, and the experimental applied/engineering aspects thereof. But then all the other stuff you mentioned is fascinating also. It's nice to have such choices, eh?

1. What are some popular topics for self study?

Some popular topics for self study include computer programming, foreign languages, photography, personal finance, and nutrition.

2. How do I choose a topic for self study?

When choosing a topic for self study, consider your interests, goals, and current skills. It's also helpful to research the demand and usefulness of the topic in your personal or professional life.

3. Is it better to focus on one topic for self study or multiple topics?

It depends on your learning style and goals. Focusing on one topic allows for deeper understanding and mastery, while studying multiple topics can provide a well-rounded education. It's important to find a balance that works for you.

4. How do I stay motivated while studying a topic on my own?

Some tips for staying motivated during self study include setting clear goals, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, finding a study partner or accountability partner, and rewarding yourself for progress.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can aid in self study?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available for self study, such as online courses, textbooks, study guides, flashcards, and educational apps. It's important to research and find the best resources for your chosen topic.