Use resistor simplification to find current across the 10 ohm resistor

In summary, the conversation is about using resistor simplification to find the current across a 10ohm resistor. The equation for determining the effective resistance in a parallel arrangement is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. The correct answer is found by taking the reciprocal of the sum and adding it to the 10ohm resistor in series. The total resistance in the circuit is 18.696Ω and the current is 535mA. The conversation also mentions a mistake made by using the wrong figure for one of the resistors.
TheRealDoodle

Homework Statement

Use resistor simplification to find current across the 10ohm resistor

Homework Equations

V=ir p=vi

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. When I did it i got down to a parallel circuit with a 30ohm and a 100ohm but didnt get a round answer and i thought the teacher said theyre all rigged to come out right.

Attachments

• resprob2.jpg
    resprob2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the work for your attempt?

Yes, here is my work, sorry for not posting originally. I hadnt read the rules yet.

Attachments

• work3.jpg
    work3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 445
  • work2.jpg
    work2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 455
  • work1.jpg
    work1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 485
I get the same answer you do. The quicker way to do it (after you disregard everything distal to the short) is to observe you're left with 4 parallel resistances 40||25||25||200, the effective resistance of which is more quickly worked out with 1/R = (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 +1/R4). Then add that to the 10Ω in series.

Curious3141 said:
observe you're left with 4 parallel resistances 40||25||25||200
One of the 100Ω is shorted out. Total R is 40||25||25||100, in series with the 10Ω

NascentOxygen said:
One of the 100Ω is shorted out. Total R is 40||25||25||100, in series with the 10Ω

You're absolutely right. :blushing: Missed that, thanks for spotting it.

Still doesn't give him a "nice" answer though - but at least it'll be the right one.

So if I am understanding this right, because our teacher hasnt taught us the (1/r1+...) method yet, I will do (1/40 + 1/25 +1/25 + 1/100) which will give me 0.115, then added to the 10ohm resistor will be 10.115, and since I=V/R then 10/10.115= 988.6mA which I know isn't right and I must be doing something wrong because I saw the right answer on my friends homework when he got it back today and he wrote 524mA

TheRealDoodle said:
So if I am understanding this right, because our teacher hasnt taught us the (1/r1+...) method yet, I will do (1/40 + 1/25 +1/25 + 1/100) which will give me 0.115
Yes. That gives you 1/R, so invert it to find R. The formula is 1/R = 1/r1 + 1/r2 + ...

Then add 10, and you have the total circuit resistance.

TheRealDoodle said:
So if I am understanding this right, because our teacher hasnt taught us the (1/r1+...) method yet, I will do (1/40 + 1/25 +1/25 + 1/100) which will give me 0.115, then added to the 10ohm resistor will be 10.115, and since I=V/R then 10/10.115= 988.6mA which I know isn't right and I must be doing something wrong because I saw the right answer on my friends homework when he got it back today and he wrote 524mA

The equation for determining the effective resistance in a parallel arrangement of n resistors is:

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{eff}} = \frac{1}{R_{1}} + \frac{1}{R_{2}} + ... + \frac{1}{R_{n}}[/tex]

So you have to take the reciprocal (inverse) of that sum to get the effective resistance, which is 1/0.115 = 8.696Ω. This has to be added to the 10Ω in series to get 18.696Ω, which is the total resistance in the circuit.

The current is therefore 10V/18.696Ω = 0.535A = 535mA, which should be the right answer.

The 524mA is using the "200" figure instead of the "100" figure as I originally did. This is a mistake, because one of the 100Ω is shorted out. It's easy to miss it because the short is "after" it (distal to it).

1. How do I simplify a circuit with resistors to find current across a specific resistor?

To simplify a circuit with resistors, you can use the series and parallel resistor rules. First, identify all the resistors in the circuit that are connected in series, meaning they are connected one after the other. To simplify these resistors, add up their individual resistance values. Next, identify all the resistors that are connected in parallel, meaning they are connected at both ends. To simplify these resistors, use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where R is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances. Once you have simplified the circuit, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) to find the current across the specific resistor.

2. Can I use resistor simplification on any circuit?

Resistor simplification can be used on circuits that have resistors connected in series and/or parallel. If a circuit has other components, such as capacitors or inductors, then additional laws and rules will need to be applied to simplify the circuit and find the current across a specific resistor.

3. What is the purpose of finding the current across a specific resistor?

In a circuit, the current is the flow of electric charge. By finding the current across a specific resistor, you can determine how much charge is flowing through that resistor. This information is useful for designing and analyzing circuits, as well as troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

4. Are there any limitations to using resistor simplification to find current?

Resistor simplification is a helpful tool, but it does have its limitations. It assumes that the resistors in the circuit are ideal (meaning they have no internal resistance) and that the connections between components are perfect. In reality, there may be slight variations in resistance and imperfections in the connections, which can affect the accuracy of the simplified circuit.

5. Can I use resistor simplification to find the current across multiple resistors at once?

Yes, you can use resistor simplification to find the current across multiple resistors at once. This is done by simplifying the circuit to a single equivalent resistor, and then using Ohm's law to find the total current. From there, you can use the series and parallel resistor rules to determine the current across each individual resistor.