Work done by motor with pulley wheel on spindle.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by an electric motor with a pulley wheel on the end but nothing on the pulley wheel. The formula for work done is mentioned, along with the factors of force and distance. The individual is unsure how to determine the acceleration and distance in this particular scenario. It is mentioned that if the motor is running at a constant speed, it is assumed that the only work being done is to overcome internal friction and windage. However, if the motor is starting up, there is a definite acceleration involved which eventually goes to zero once the steady state is reached. The question then becomes, what type of case is being dealt with in this situation?
cayongrayoo
I need to calculate the work done by an electric motor when it has a pulley wheel on the end but nothing on the pulley wheel. I know work done = force x distance. And of course force = mass x acceleration. But I cannot for the life of me think of how I am going to work out the acceleration? or the distance. Normally the distance is the distance of the object being pulled by the motor..but my motor isn't pulling anything over a distance.

How do i get the acceleration for F and how do i get the distance?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If there is a pulley on the motor, but no belt on the pulley, the motor is doing no useful work at all. The only work being done by the motor is overcoming internal friction in its own bearings, windage on the rotor, the pulley, etc.

Now all of those statements in the previous paragraph assume that the motor is running in steady state, that is, at constant speed. If the motor is starting up, this is not true. The motor is doing work to accelerate the rotor (internal mass) and the pulley (external mass) and the shaft (partly internal, partly external mass). During start up, there is a definite acceleration involved, but this goes to zero after the steady state is reached.

So, the question is, what case do you have?

1. What is work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle?

Work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle is the amount of energy or force needed to rotate the pulley wheel on the spindle. This work is typically measured in joules or newton-meters.

2. How is work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle calculated?

The work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the pulley wheel by the distance it moves. This can be represented by the formula W = F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What factors affect the work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle?

The work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle can be affected by several factors, such as the weight of the object being lifted by the pulley, the speed at which the motor rotates the pulley, and the efficiency of the pulley system.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle?

The number of pulleys in a system can affect the work done by a motor with pulley wheel on spindle. The more pulleys involved, the more the work is divided, resulting in less force needed to lift the object. This means that more pulleys can make the work easier for the motor.

5. What are some applications of using a motor with pulley wheel on spindle to do work?

A motor with pulley wheel on spindle can be used in many applications to perform work, such as lifting heavy objects in construction, powering elevators, and operating conveyor belts in factories. It can also be used in simple tasks like lifting a bucket of water from a well or raising a flag on a flagpole.