Would traveling faster than the speed of light solve the entanglement issue?

In summary, the report of apparent superluminal neutrinos at CERN has been found to be errors, and this will be tested shortly.
Robleaver
I do not know a lot about physics, however, I was wondering if anyone would know, now that they think something can travel faster than the speed of light, would that solve the entanglement issue in quantum mechanics or at least the problem Einstein had with it? Or how two particles would be able to contact one in other over long distances spooky action at a distance he called it was niels bohr or einstein right or would the fact that an electron may be able to travel faster than light mean they were both wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Robleaver said:
I do not know a lot about physics, however, I was wondering if anyone would know, now that they think something can travel faster than the speed of light, would that solve the entanglement issue in quantum mechanics or at least the problem Einstein had with it?

There's no problem, entanglement apparently happens because they are the same particle, even mathematically, so no matter what the distance their probabilities will still be equal to each other's.

if something can travel faster than light is it possible that they are communicating

Robleaver said:
if something can travel faster than light is it possible that they are communicating

They aren't communicating though, they are just occupying the same quantum state.

Robleaver said:
now that they think something can travel faster than the speed of light,

Are you by any chance referring to the report of apparent superluminal neutrinos at CERN a few months ago? They've now found a couple of sources of experimental error, and will be testing this shortly:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3779525#post3779525

I was referring to CERN and Brian Greene's book The Fabric of the Cosmos as it was presented on NOVA I did not know of the "experimental error's" I should have triple checked that.

1. How does traveling faster than the speed of light affect entanglement?

Traveling faster than the speed of light does not solve the entanglement issue. Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon that occurs between particles, and it is not affected by the speed of travel.

2. Can traveling faster than the speed of light break the laws of physics?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, traveling faster than the speed of light is not possible. Therefore, it would not be possible to break the laws of physics by traveling faster than the speed of light.

3. Is entanglement only possible at the speed of light?

Entanglement can occur at any speed, as it is a quantum phenomenon that is not limited by the speed of light. It can occur between particles at rest or in motion.

4. How is entanglement related to the speed of light?

Entanglement is not directly related to the speed of light. However, the effects of entanglement can be observed even when particles are traveling at the speed of light, due to its instantaneous nature.

5. Could traveling faster than the speed of light change the properties of entangled particles?

No, traveling faster than the speed of light would not change the properties of entangled particles. The properties of entangled particles are determined by the initial entanglement, and they cannot be altered by any outside influence, including speed of travel.