A Carbon skeleton with 2 diff functional groups

In summary: Zwitter ions are uncharged ions that have a net charge of zero. They are usually produced as a by-product of chemical reactions.
nemzy
Lets say for example a hydrocarbon skeleton has two diff functional groups branched to the skeleton.. Let's say one of the functional groups pH is less than 9 to 10, and the other functional group's pH is greater than 2 to 4

that means that molecule to be electrically charged, the pH of the molecule has the be true for both of the pH of the functional groups right?

so pH will be (6 to 7) < pH < (9 to 10)

correct me if I am wrong

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean by Ph of a functional group? Ph is used to refer to the activity of available H+ ions. As the activity of H+ differs in each solution depending on concentration there can be no Ph of a functional group.

First of all, a molecule by definition is uncharged. A functional group does not have a characteristic pH. As a concrete example, ethanol and propanol have different values of the dissociation constant because of a difference in their structure even though both have an identical hydroxyl group. There are countless other examples, which necessitate a correct explanation.

Secondly, pH has nothing to do with electrical neutrality here.

If you have a molecule which has multiple functional groups, its behavior in solution where it can ionize will depend on

(a) temperature
(b) nature of solvent
(c) concentration of the molecule (the solvent for practical purposes)

Generally the more acidic group (or more basic group as the case may be) predominates (suppose some molecule is a hydroxy acid...the hydrogen of the carboxyl group will be more easily lost due to subsequent stabilization of the anionic species). Note that pH in solution still depends on the total hydronium ion concentration in solution and not on just one functional group. (The acid dissociation constant, concentration and ion product of water at the particular temperature are some of the things you need to know to mathematically compute pH to a certain degree of theoretical accuracy.)

Cheers
Vivek

He may be talking about Zwitter ions.Say i amino acids,it may be +vely charged -vely charged or may be neutral according to pH.

poolwin2001 said:
He may be talking about Zwitter ions.Say i amino acids,it may be +vely charged -vely charged or may be neutral according to pH.

Yes I am sorry I didn't consider that.

1. What is a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups?

A carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups is a molecule made up of a chain of carbon atoms, with two different groups attached to it. These groups can be functional groups such as hydroxyl, carboxyl, amino, or phosphate groups.

2. How many carbon atoms are typically present in a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups?

The number of carbon atoms in a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups can vary depending on the specific molecule. However, it is common for these molecules to have 4-10 carbon atoms in the chain.

3. What are the roles of functional groups in a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups?

Functional groups play a crucial role in determining the properties and reactivity of a molecule. In a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups, each group can contribute unique chemical characteristics and allow for a wide range of reactions to occur.

4. How do the functional groups in a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups affect its solubility?

The functional groups in a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups can affect its solubility by either increasing or decreasing its polarity. Polar functional groups, such as hydroxyl and carboxyl groups, can make the molecule more soluble in water, while nonpolar groups, such as methyl and ethyl groups, can make the molecule more soluble in nonpolar solvents.

5. What are some examples of molecules with a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups?

Some examples of molecules with a carbon skeleton with 2 different functional groups include amino acids, which have both an amine and a carboxyl group, and fatty acids, which have a carboxyl group and a hydrocarbon chain. Other examples include alcohols, which have a hydroxyl group and a hydrocarbon chain, and amino alcohols, which have both an amine and a hydroxyl group.