Contact Surface: U.S. Term?

In summary, the term being discussed is the contact surface, specifically the surface used for sealing the inner cavity of a valve between the body and bonnet. This surface can be described as an annulus or ring with specific measurements. The term "seal face" is suggested as a possible translation from Russian, and it is the most commonly used term in the U.S. for this type of surface.
Jack8rkin
Contact surface -- term

Hello everyone!
Help me please with selecting a correct term.
The situation is as follows:

There is a valve, which has a body and a bonnet.
There is a joint that connects the body to the bonnet.
There is a contacting surface on the bonnet flange and body flange that is used for sealing the inner cavity of the valve.
This surface looks like an annulus, or a ring and we have the area, inner diameter and outer diameter of it.
If translated from Russian it may sound as "sealing girdle", or "Sealing band".
Could it be "seal face"?

Could you please name the term that is used in the U.S.?
Hope, I made myself clear.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

seal face makes the most sense to me.

Thank you.

1. What is the definition of "Contact Surface: U.S. Term"?

"Contact Surface: U.S. Term" refers to a term used in the field of contact mechanics to describe the area of contact between two surfaces in the United States.

2. How is the contact surface calculated?

The contact surface is typically calculated by measuring the dimensions of the two surfaces in contact and multiplying them together. This provides an estimate of the total area of contact between the two surfaces.

3. What factors can affect the size of the contact surface?

The size of the contact surface can be affected by factors such as the roughness, hardness, and elasticity of the surfaces, as well as the amount of force or pressure applied to the surfaces.

4. Why is the contact surface important in contact mechanics?

The contact surface is an important parameter in contact mechanics because it affects the distribution of forces and stresses at the interface between two surfaces. This can have significant implications for the performance and durability of mechanical systems.

5. How is the contact surface measured in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the contact surface can be measured using various techniques such as optical profilometry, scanning electron microscopy, or surface roughness testers. These methods provide precise measurements of the contact surface for use in engineering and research studies.