S235 Steel: Tension/Pressure & Bending Values

In summary, a table of different steel qualities contains information about a specific type of steel, S235. The tension/pressure values are approximately equivalent to typical values for steel in MPa and the numbers are given in N/mm^2. The format of the table is in accordance with the European Standard EN 10025 and the grades of S235 include S235JR, S235J0, S235J2G3, and S235J2G4. The yield strength is expected to be around 235 MPa and the ultimate tensile strength between 340-470 MPa. The numbers given in the table are likely related to design stresses or allowable stress amplitudes in fatigue. The range of values, indicated by
TSN79
In a table of different steel qualities the information about a perticular type of steel can be as follows:

Steel type:
S235

Tension/Pressure:
[tex]0\pm60[/tex]
[tex]130\pm130[/tex]

Bending:
[tex]0\pm190[/tex]
[tex]150\pm150[/tex]

My question is, what do these values tell me? The values are in [tex]N/mm^2[/tex]

Engineering news on Phys.org
While I'm not sure I understand what the numbers themselves represent, the approximate value of the quantities seems to be comparable to typical values for steel in MPa, which is the same as N/mm^2.

So, my guess is YES.

What is the format of the table form where these numbers originate?

S235 is a conventional low carbon structural steel (European Standard EN 10025)

Grades are:
S235
S235JR
S235J0
S235J2G3
S235J2G4

Yield strength should be about 235 MPa, UTS about 340-470 MPa.

The maximum numbers may be maximum design stresses, but it is hard to tell. The numbers are given as ranges.

I'd guess similarly to design stresses or then something more exotic, like allowable stress amplitudes in fatigue.

PerennialII said:
I'd guess similarly to design stresses or then something more exotic, like allowable stress amplitudes in fatigue.

Yeah, the 'plus or minus' seems to suggest fatigue related parameters.

What is S235 steel?

S235 steel is a non-alloy structural steel commonly used in construction and engineering applications. It is known for its high tensile strength and good formability.

What are the tension/pressure values for S235 steel?

The tensile strength of S235 steel is approximately 360-510 MPa, while its yield strength is around 235 MPa. The maximum allowable pressure for S235 steel is typically around 235 MPa.

What are the bending values for S235 steel?

The bending strength of S235 steel depends on the shape and dimensions of the component being bent. Generally, the minimum bending radius for S235 steel is around 3 times the thickness of the steel.

What are the applications of S235 steel?

S235 steel is commonly used in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in the manufacturing of machinery, containers, and other equipment that require high strength and good formability.

How does S235 steel compare to other types of steel?

S235 steel is a lower grade of steel compared to other types such as S355 or S420. It has a lower tensile and yield strength, but is more ductile and easier to form. Its lower cost and versatility make it a popular choice for many applications.