Can You Prove These Hypotheses in Predicate Calculus?

In summary: And yes, I've done predicate calculus. Here's the proof, in English: Take an arbitrary A. Assume H(A,c) is true. By b 2, we have H(P(A),c) and G[K(P(A)),A]. By b 1, we have G(A,A). By Universal Introduction, we have \forall A (G(A,A)). By Universal Elimination, we have G(A,A). By Existential Introduction, we have \exists B (G(P(A),B)). By Existential Elimination, we have G[P(A),P(A)]. By b 2, we have G
stauros
Given :

a)

1) c is a constant

2) P and K are one place operation symbols

3) G and H are a two place predicate symbols

b)

The following hypothesis

1)for all A { G(A,A) }

2) for all A,B { H(A,c) =>( G[P(A),B] <=> ( G[K(B),A] and H(B,c)))}

Then prove :

1) for all A { H(A,c) => G[K(P(A),A] }

2) for all A { H(A,c) => H( P(A),c) }

Physics news on Phys.org
How you formally work this through depends on what system you're asked to work with, but a strategy would be to let B=P(A).

Thanks dcpo .So i put B=P(A) in 2 and i get :

{ H(A,c) =>( G[P(A),P(A)] <=> ( G[K(P(A)),A] and H(P(A),c)))}
is that correct?

The proof is in predicate calculus ,so every line of the proof has to be accounted for and justified

Well, what you need to say depends on how formal you have to be, and on what deduction system you have to use, but what you have is the basis for a rigorous 'everyday' proof, so long as you make explicit the role of the [itex]\forall A(G(A,A))[/itex] hypothesis. If you haven't been given an explicit formal deduction system to work with that should be enough.

The proof as i said is an ordinary proof in predicate calculus with the usal 4 general laws i.e

1) Universal Elimination
2) Universal Introduction
3) Existential Elimination
4) Existential Introduction

Plus the rules of statement calculus

stauros said:
Given :

a)
1) c is a constant
2) P and K are one place operation symbols
3) G and H are a two place predicate symbols

b)
The following hypothesis
1)for all A { G(A,A) }
2) for all A,B { H(A,c) =>( G[P(A),B] <=> ( G[K(B),A] and H(B,c)))}

Then prove :

1) for all A { H(A,c) => G[K(P(A),A] }
2) for all A { H(A,c) => H( P(A),c) }

Well, we ain't supposed to be doing homework problems here, but the proofs are extremely simple.

for proof 1: Your notation is inconsistent, so can't help until you clean that up.

for proof 2: [tex] \forall A (H(A,c) \Rightarrow H(P(A),c)) [/tex]
Assuming A, H(A,c), and P(A) exist immediately gives result H(P(A),c) from b 1 and 2.

pridicate said:
Well, we ain't supposed to be doing homework problems here, but the proofs are extremely simple.

for proof 1: Your notation is inconsistent, so can't help until you clean that up.

for proof 2: [tex] \forall A (H(A,c) \Rightarrow H(P(A),c)) [/tex]
Assuming A, H(A,c), and P(A) exist immediately gives result H(P(A),c) from b 1 and 2.

Sorry to ask but do you know how a proof is done in predicate calculus?

I mean have you done any predicate calculus?

stauros said:
Sorry to ask but do you know how a proof is done in predicate calculus?

I mean have you done any predicate calculus?

Um yeah ...

1. What is predicate calculus?

Predicate calculus is a formal mathematical system used to express relationships between objects or concepts using logical symbols and rules. It is often used to prove statements in mathematics and computer science.

2. How does proof work in predicate calculus?

In predicate calculus, a proof is a series of logical deductions or steps that lead to the conclusion of a statement being true. These steps must follow the rules of the system and use logical reasoning.

3. What are the symbols used in predicate calculus?

The symbols used in predicate calculus include quantifiers (∀ and ∃), logical connectives (¬, ∧, ∨, →, ↔), variables (x, y, z), and predicates (P, Q, R). These symbols have specific meanings and are used to construct logical statements.

4. What is the difference between a proof and a truth table?

A proof in predicate calculus uses logical deductions to show that a statement is true, while a truth table shows all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in a statement. A proof is a more rigorous and formal method of proving statements compared to a truth table.

5. How is predicate calculus used in real-world applications?

Predicate calculus is used in various fields, such as computer science, mathematics, and philosophy, to represent and prove logical statements. It is also used in artificial intelligence and automated reasoning systems to solve complex problems and make decisions based on logical rules.