Why are liquids generally less dense than solids?

In summary, the teacher used little diagrams to explain how solids, liquids, and gasses differ, but Jacob didn't understand why all substances aren't like water in that the solid state of the molecule expands from the liquid state.
wasteofo2
I took Honors Chemistry this year with the assumption I might actually get some good questions answered, but alas, no such luck. When we went over different stages of matter, the teacher used those little diagrams I'm sure you've all seen to describe how solids, liquids and gasses differ. The diagrams where solids were little balls connected in a crystal-lattice structure by little rods, liquids were little balls just piled atop one another, and gasses were little balls floating all over the place.

Now, I understand that liquids have more energy than solids, and thus there's more atomic motion, but still, based on these diagrams, I don't understand why that excess energy you need to go from solid to liquid doesn't break the strong bonds that hold solid particles in place, and allow the particles to essentially collapse in on that vacant space that was kept vacant by bonds keeping all the solid particles strictly in place.

Can someone try to explain to me why all substances aren't like water, in that the solid state of the molecule expands from the liquid state?

Thanks alot,
Jacob

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
wasteofo2 said:
I don't understand why that excess energy you need to go from solid to liquid doesn't break the strong bonds that hold solid particles in place, and allow the particles to essentially collapse in on that vacant space that was kept vacant by bonds keeping all the solid particles strictly in place.
solid - tape some tennis balls together, put them on your racket, and fling them into the air
liquid - put normal tennis balls on your racket and fling them into the air.

Which balls stayed closer together, the taped or the nontaped? If you can think of a reason for why that happened, you can understand solids and liquids. :wink:

ShawnD said:
solid - tape some tennis balls together, put them on your racket, and fling them into the air
liquid - put normal tennis balls on your racket and fling them into the air.

Which balls stayed closer together, the taped or the nontaped? If you can think of a reason for why that happened, you can understand solids and liquids. :wink:
That explains why solids are more dense than liquids when flung into the air, but what about when they're just sitting around?

The only time they'll be "sitting around" is at absolute zero... but at that point everything is a solid.

wasteofo2 said:
The diagrams where solids were little balls connected in a crystal-lattice structure by little rods, liquids were little balls just piled atop one another, and gasses were little balls floating all over the place.
The problem is from using models like these. Some models can do more damage than good. This one seems to have done some damage at least.

Now, I understand that liquids have more energy than solids, and thus there's more atomic motion, but still, based on these diagrams, I don't understand why that excess energy you need to go from solid to liquid doesn't break the strong bonds that hold solid particles in place, and allow the particles to essentially collapse in on that vacant space that was kept vacant by bonds keeping all the solid particles strictly in place.

The "bonds" do not keep the atoms away from each other. A better model would have the balls (representing the atoms) stuck to each other. If bonding results from sharing or exchanging valence electrons, would this not require that the valence shells actually overlap ?

A slightly better explanation of bonding would be the following:
What the bonding does is it sucks nearby atoms to each other till their valence shells are touching - as long as other requirements of bonding (such as the number of valence electrons making aoctets and so on) are satisfied. Bonding does not hold atoms apart. There is no space created for the atoms to fall into.

Atoms can not come any closer to each other than they get to be in a solid at low temperatures. If you do try to push a pair of atoms closer to each other, they will start to feel a strong repulsion.

Also keep in mind that gravity has a negligible effect on the dynamics of individual atoms. The force due to gravity on an atom/molecule is tiny compared to the electrostatic forces due to neighbouring atoms/molecules.

Last edited:

1. Why do liquids take the shape of their container while solids do not?

Liquids are less dense than solids because the molecules in a liquid are not as tightly packed together as those in a solid. This allows the molecules in a liquid to move and flow more easily, taking the shape of their container.

2. What causes liquids to have a lower density than solids?

Liquids have a lower density than solids because their molecules are not arranged in a specific, organized pattern like those in a solid. This results in more space between molecules in a liquid, making it less dense.

3. How do temperature and pressure affect the density of a liquid compared to a solid?

Temperature and pressure can both affect the density of a liquid compared to a solid. As temperature increases, the molecules in a liquid move faster and take up more space, decreasing the density. Pressure can also compress a liquid, making its molecules more tightly packed and increasing its density.

4. Why do some liquids, like water, have a higher density than others, like oil?

The density of a liquid depends on its molecular structure and composition. Water has a higher density than oil because its molecules are more tightly packed due to hydrogen bonding. Oil, on the other hand, has larger molecules that are not as tightly packed, resulting in a lower density.

5. Can a liquid ever be more dense than a solid?

In rare cases, a liquid can be more dense than a solid. This is known as a supercooled liquid and occurs when a liquid is cooled below its freezing point without solidifying. However, this state is unstable and the liquid will eventually solidify.