How to calculate the magnetic field and pull force generated by current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to calculate the magnetic field generated by current flowing through copper wire and the use of different equations for a straight wire and an odd-shaped wire. The "right-hand rule" is also mentioned for determining the direction of the magnetic field. The conversation also mentions the use of integration for calculating the magnetic field for a wire that is not perfectly straight.
Momento
Hallo all,

I've been looking around to find the best way to calculate the magnetic field generated by current flowing through copper wire... There were many sites I've found but its kinda confusing

One of the laws:
magcur4.gif

I thought it was simple to determine the magnetic field... Is there a way to calculate the pull force as well?!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The strength of the magnetic field around a long, straight wire is:
[itex]\Large B=\frac{μ_{0}I}{2\pi r}[/itex]
B is the magnetic field in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability constant (1.26*10-6 T m/A), I is current in Amps, and r is distance from the wire in meters.
The direction of the field is given by the following "right-hand rule":
magcur.gif

When you want to calculate for a wire that's not perfectly straight, this equation isn't valid, and you must use integration to account for an odd-shaped wire.

Nessdude14 said:
The strength of the magnetic field around a long, straight wire is:
[itex]\Large B=\frac{μ_{0}I}{2\pi r}[/itex]
B is the magnetic field in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability constant (1.26*10-6 T m/A), I is current in Amps, and r is distance from the wire in meters.
The direction of the field is given by the following "right-hand rule":
magcur.gif

When you want to calculate for a wire that's not perfectly straight, this equation isn't valid, and you must use integration to account for an odd-shaped wire.

Thank you so much for that!

I'm looking up for more equations because most probably I'll make a series of looped wires and tie the together...

1. How do I calculate the magnetic field generated by current?

To calculate the magnetic field generated by current, you can use the formula B = μ0 * I / (2 * π * r), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability constant (4π × 10^-7), I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T). This unit represents the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point.

3. How can I determine the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, then the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What is pull force and how do I calculate it?

Pull force is the force between two magnetic objects. To calculate it, you can use the formula F = (μ0 * m1 * m2 * A) / (2 * π * d^2), where F is the pull force, μ0 is the permeability constant, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two objects, A is the cross-sectional area, and d is the distance between the two objects.

5. How does the distance between two objects affect the pull force?

The pull force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the pull force decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.