How to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3?

• Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3 for use as a refining and reducing agent in glass melt. It is suggested to use Ca(OH)2 or Ba(OH)2 to precipitate Sb oxide or hydroxide from the sulfate. The conversation also mentions the importance of Sb2O3 in glassmaking for creating deep and pure green colors. However, obtaining the oxide is difficult as it is not readily available in chemical shops.
Panthera Leo
How to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3?

Hi,

I have got some Antimony Sulfate and would like to convert it to Sb2O3 to be used as a refining & reducing agent in glass melt. But I am not sure if using the sulfate as such will decompose in the oxide at high temperatures (around 1200 celcius)... Any help will be highly appreciated.

Is there any other reducing agent you could recommend?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Heating Antimony Sulphate will likely decompose it to Antimony (III) Oxide and Sulphur Trioxide.

It is supposed to hydrolyze in dilute water to the oxide. Sounds messy to me. Why don't you just get some antimony trioxide instead?

Panthera Leo said:
I have got some Antimony Sulfate and would like to convert it to Sb2O3 to be used as a refining & reducing agent in glass melt. But I am not sure if using the sulfate as such will decompose in the oxide at high temperatures (around 1200 celcius)... Any help will be highly appreciated.
Is there any other reducing agent you could recommend?
Why reducing? In the sulfate, Sb is in which oxidation state?
Anyway, if the sulfate is water soluble and gives Sb ions and SO42- ions, you could add Ca(OH)2 or, better, Ba(OH)2 (more soluble) and calcium or barium sulfate precipitates giving Sb oxide or hydroxide (or antimonic acid?) and in case you dry the last by heat.

Antimony oxide acts as a reducing agent towards manganese and chromium oxides in glassmaking.

lightarrow said:
if the sulfate is water soluble and gives Sb ions and SO42- ions, you could add Ca(OH)2 or, better, Ba(OH)2 (more soluble) and calcium or barium sulfate precipitates giving Sb oxide or hydroxide (or antimonic acid?) and in case you dry the last by heat.

Thanks for the instructions... sounds very interesting indeed...

But I am really scared of touching Sb in aqueous state. I guess I will just add a 0.5% of glass batch the Sb sulfate and see what happens :D

chemisttree said:
Antimony oxide acts as a reducing agent towards manganese and chromium oxides in glassmaking.

You're 100% correct :)

without Sb2O3 it's almost impossible to create deep/pure green colors (from Cr2O3) generally because sodium oxide and chromium oxide react to form sodium chromate which gives the glass a yellowish tint.

If there's a tiny amount of PbO in the batch, lead chromate will form making the glass brownish orange instead of green !

Both cases can be avoided with the addition of Sb2O3...

chemisttree said:
It is supposed to hydrolyze in dilute water to the oxide. Sounds messy to me. Why don't you just get some antimony trioxide instead?

I wish, I could ... I have searched every single chemical shop in town but non of them is offering the oxide for sale! all I could find was the sulfate.

What is Antimony Sulfate?

Antimony Sulfate is a compound made up of the elements antimony, sulfur, and oxygen. It is commonly used as a catalyst in various chemical reactions and as a flame retardant in plastics and textiles.

What is Sb2O3?

Sb2O3 is the chemical formula for antimony trioxide, also known as antimony(III) oxide. It is a white crystalline powder that is commonly used as a flame retardant, pigment, and catalyst in various industrial processes.

Why would someone want to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3?

There are several reasons why someone may want to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3. One reason could be to purify the compound and remove impurities. Another reason could be to change the physical and chemical properties of the compound for a specific application.

What is the process for converting Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3?

The conversion of Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3 can be achieved through a process called calcination. This involves heating the Antimony Sulfate to a high temperature in the presence of oxygen, which causes it to decompose and form Sb2O3. The resulting Sb2O3 can then be collected and used for various purposes.

Are there any safety precautions for converting Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when converting Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3. This compound can be toxic if inhaled or ingested, so it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and a mask when handling it. It is also important to perform the conversion process in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhalation of any toxic fumes.