5 essays, two chosen, one chosen probability 1

• Thread starter LifeSuks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of certain prompts appearing on a test and the minimum number of prompts that must be studied to ensure at least one will show up on the day of the test. The general result is also mentioned, with the conclusion that studying N-R+1 prompts should be enough to cover all possibilities.
LifeSuks
That title may be kind of obscure.
Say you are given three essays to study for a test. You know that, on test day, two of these essays wil be provided from which you may choose one to write about. I'm sure all of your are familiar with this style. If you choose two to study, then, come test day, the probability of at least one of those that you chose will show up is 1.

Now, what if you are given five prompts from which to choose, two (I think) of which will be provided on the test day, and of which, again you choose 1 to write about? What is the minimum number of prompts that you must study to ensure that at least one shows up on the day of the test?

I know this should be really easy but I'm confused.

BTW, if you don't mind, we might as well derive the general result, which I'm not totally sure how to define without sounding like an idiot.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are given N to study and come the test you have to choose one of a subset of R, will studying N-R be enough? What do you think?

haruspex said:
If you are given N to study and come the test you have to choose one of a subset of R, will studying N-R be enough? What do you think?
N-R+1 should do.

What is the meaning of "5 essays, two chosen, one chosen probability 1"?

"5 essays, two chosen, one chosen probability 1" refers to a scenario where there are 5 essays to choose from, and the probability of choosing two specific essays and then choosing one particular essay from those two is 1. This means that there is a 100% chance of choosing that one essay.

What is the significance of probability 1 in this scenario?

In this scenario, probability 1 means that there is a 100% chance of the event happening. This means that out of all the possible outcomes, only one specific outcome will occur.

How is this related to probability and statistics?

This scenario is related to probability and statistics because it involves calculating the likelihood or chance of a specific event occurring. In this case, we are looking at the probability of choosing two specific essays and then choosing one particular essay from those two.

Can this scenario be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this scenario can be applied to real-life situations that involve decision making and probability. For example, a company may want to predict the probability of a certain marketing campaign being successful, or a doctor may want to calculate the probability of a certain treatment being effective for a patient.

What are some limitations of this scenario?

One limitation of this scenario is that it assumes all essays are equally likely to be chosen. In real-life situations, this may not always be the case. Additionally, the calculation of probability may not always accurately reflect the actual outcome in a real-life situation.