Potential of a Quadrupole (Far Away)

• Thread starter ToothandnaiL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of multipole expansion techniques in an EDM class. It is explained that the dominant term in the summation corresponds to the physical configuration being dealt with, and the question is raised about whether it is safe to ignore other terms. The conversation then moves on to discuss a quadrupole charge configuration and the potential at large distances, with the conclusion that the quadrupole contribution is dominant in this case. The concept of precision is also mentioned in relation to the necessary terms in the expansion. The conversation ends with a clarification of the meaning of "simple" in this context.
ToothandnaiL
So we're currently covering multipole expansion techniques in my EDM class. The multipole expansion is a summation of integrals each treating a different configuration of discrete charges (monopole, dipole... and so on). The term in the summation that corresponds to the physical configuration that your dealing with, whether it be a monopole, dipole, or whatever, is the dominant term. My first question is: Does that mean it is safe to ignore the other terms in the summation and treat, say, a quadrupole with only the quadrupole term? Secondly, there is a simple formula to express the potential of a discrete charge configuration at a large distance where the configuration appears as a single point charge. The problem I'm looking at has a charge configuration like this: a +3q charge at point z=a, a +q charge at z=-a, a -2q charge at y=a and y=-a, this forms a quadrupole and the problem wants an expression for potential that is valid at large distances from the quadrupole. It uses the word 'simple' to describe the expression for potential so I imagine it's not the multipole expansion formula. Would I use the formula for large distances to treat this problem? The only problem I see with that would be the fact that the net charge would=0 and then the potential would= 0 as well. How could that be the case for this quadrupole?

Physics news on Phys.org
A multipole expansion is just a expansion of the potential in terms of powers of ##1/|r-r'|##. If you can verify that a certain collection of charges has neither a net charge nor a dipole moment and that the quadrupole moment is nonzero, it is guaranteed that the quadrupole contribution is dominant over all others far away from the charge distribution.

ToothandnaiL said:
Does that mean it is safe to ignore the other terms in the summation and treat, say, a quadrupole with only the quadrupole term?
It depends on the required precision. If you want to know the orbital period of moon to calculate the days of full/new moon, it is fine to treat Earth as a monopole. If you want to know its position with an accurary of centimeters, you have to add more terms.

a +3q charge at point z=a, a +q charge at z=-a, a -2q charge at y=a and y=-a, this forms a quadrupole and the problem wants an expression for potential that is valid at large distances from the quadrupole.
What about the dipole moment?

I think "simple" means the highest order is sufficient.

OK, thank you for the replies they give some new ways to think about the problem.

I would advise you to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the multipole expansion technique. While it may be appropriate to ignore certain terms in the summation for a specific physical configuration, it is important to understand the consequences of doing so. In the case of a quadrupole, ignoring terms may result in an inaccurate representation of the system and could lead to errors in your calculations.

Regarding the formula for the potential of a discrete charge configuration at a large distance, it is important to note that this formula is only valid for a single point charge. In the case of a quadrupole, the net charge may be zero, but the distribution of charges is still important in determining the potential at a large distance. Therefore, using the formula for a single point charge may not accurately reflect the potential of the quadrupole.

In this situation, I would recommend using a more rigorous approach, such as the method of images or solving the problem using the Laplace equation. These methods take into account the full charge distribution and can provide a more accurate representation of the potential at a large distance from the quadrupole. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of any formula or technique used in scientific calculations to ensure accurate results.

1. What is a quadrupole?

A quadrupole is a type of electromagnetic field that is created by two pairs of opposite charges or magnetic poles, arranged in a specific configuration.

2. How is the potential of a quadrupole calculated?

The potential of a quadrupole is calculated by using the formula V(x,y,z) = k*q/(2*a^2) * (x^2 - y^2), where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, a is the distance between the charges, and x and y represent the coordinates of the point where the potential is being calculated.

3. What is the significance of the "Far Away" in the potential of a quadrupole?

The "Far Away" in the potential of a quadrupole refers to the distance from the quadrupole where the potential is being calculated. This is important because the potential will decrease as the distance increases, and at a certain distance, the potential will become negligible.

4. How does the potential of a quadrupole change with distance?

The potential of a quadrupole decreases with distance according to an inverse square law. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases at a rate of 1/d^2, where d is the distance from the quadrupole. At a large enough distance, the potential will become negligible.

5. What are some real-world applications of quadrupoles?

Quadrupoles have various applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in particle accelerators to focus and steer particle beams. They are also used in mass spectrometers to separate and analyze ions. In addition, quadrupoles are used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to generate the required magnetic fields for imaging.