Sum of the squares of remainders

In summary, the conversation discusses the division of a polynomial by (x-1)(x-2) with a remainder of x+1. The question then asks for the value of a^2 + b^2, where a and b are the remainders when the polynomial is divided by (x-1) and (x-2) respectively. By considering f(1) and f(2), it is determined that a=2 and b=3, leading to a^2 + b^2 = 13. The conversation also mentions the use of the remainder theorem and the need for practice in problem solving.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

The division of a polynomial f(x) by (x – 1)(x – 2) has remainder x + 1. If the remainder of the division of f(x) by (x – 1) and (x – 2) are, respectively, a and b. Then what is a^2 + b^2?

Homework Equations

I guess the remainder theorem could be useful here.

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = q(x)(x – 1) + a; where q(x) is the quotient of the division of f(x) by (x – 1).

f(x) = p(x)(x – 2) + b; where p(x) is the quotient of the division of f(x) by (x – 2).

q(x)(x – 1) + a = p(x)(x – 2) + b

I don't know how to move forward using the fact the remainder of the division of f(x) by (x – 1)(x – 2).

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you consider f(1)?

f(1) = a and f(2) = b; right? Which means that a = -p(x) + b and b = q(x) + a.

So a^2 + b^2 = (-p(x) + b)^2 + (q(x) + a)^2. I still don't see how to use the fact the remainder of the division of f(x) by (x – 1)(x – 2).

EDIT: Wait; a + p(x) = b and b = q(x) + a. So a + p(x) = q(x) + a and p(x) = q(x)! Is that right?

You have established that [itex]f(1) = a[/itex] and [itex]f(2) = b[/itex].
But we also know that
[itex]f(x) = g(x)(x-1)(x-2) + (x+1)[/itex]
for some quotient [itex]g(x)[/itex].
Can you compute what [itex]f(1)[/itex] and [itex]f(2)[/itex] are?

f(1) = (1 + 1) and f(2) = (1 + 2). So a = 2 and b = 3. And a^2 + b^2 = 13.

How do you guys see problems so clearly? Now that you pointed out everything became obvious, but before that I could never have seen that. Is that practice? I feel like I can grasp concepts really well, but when it comes to problem solving I can hardly interpret the question at first or second sight. How can I improve that?

1. What is the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders"?

The "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the sum of the squares of the remainders when dividing a number by smaller numbers. It is often used in number theory and can help identify patterns and relationships between numbers.

2. How do you calculate the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders"?

To calculate the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders," you need to first divide a number by smaller numbers, and then square the remainders. Finally, you add up all the squared remainders to get the sum.

3. What is the significance of the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" in mathematics?

The "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" has various applications in mathematics. It can help in identifying prime numbers, finding patterns in number sequences, and determining the properties of a given number.

4. Can the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" be negative?

No, the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" cannot be negative. Since the remainders are squared before being added, they will always result in positive values. However, the sum itself can be zero if all the remainders are zero.

5. How is the "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" related to the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that given a set of congruences with relatively prime moduli, there exists a unique solution within a certain range. The "Sum of the Squares of Remainders" can be used to determine the range of solutions for a set of congruences, making it closely related to the Chinese Remainder Theorem.