Volume Integration: Calculate Rotated Region Bounded by y=9-X^2, X=2

In summary, to calculate the volume generated when rotating the region bounded by the curve y = 9 - X^2, the line X = 2, and the x-axis 2pi about the y-axis, one can integrate from 9 to 0 in the second quadrant and add the volume of the first quadrant. To integrate the part affected by the X = 2 line, the method of cylindrical shells can be used. The region can be graphed as a downward parabola with y-intercept at y=9, and a vertical line at x=2. The height of a shell will be 9-x^2, the radius is x, and the thickness is dx. The shells need to be summed
Link
Calculate the volume generated when the region bounded by the curve y = 9 - X^2 , the line X = 2 and the x-axis is rotated 2pi about the y-axis.

For the part that lies in the second quadrant, i can integrate 9 to 0, then plug it into the volume formula. Then i have to add the volume of the part in the first quadrant. But since the X = 2 line slices a part of the area off i don't know how to integrate it respective to the y axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the method of cylindrical shells which should be outlined in your book.

Graph the region that is described. This is simple to do,, draw a downward porabola with y intercept at y=9, and a vertical line at x=2. The region you want to consider is the region in the first quadrant that lies under the porabola and over the x-axis and between the lines x=2 and x=3.

hint:
the height of a shell will be 9 - x^2
the radius of the shell is x, so the circumference is 2(pi)x
the thickness of the shell is dx
you need to sum up all the shells with radius from x=2 to x=3

I hope I haven't given too much away.

Last edited:
Actually, you want the interval from 2 to 3.

The region would have to also be bounded by x=0 if you were going from 0 to 2.

Yes, thank you BobG! I overlooked that.

P.S. I will edit my post so as not to cause confusion.

1. What is volume integration?

Volume integration is a method used in calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional object by breaking it down into infinitely small slices and adding up the volumes of those slices.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a rotated region?

To calculate the volume of a rotated region, you would first find the area of the base of the region by integrating the function that forms the boundary of the region. Then, you would use the disk or washer method to integrate the area of the base as it rotates around the axis of rotation.

3. What does it mean for a region to be bounded by a function?

A region bounded by a function means that the boundaries of the region are defined by a specific mathematical function. In the case of this question, the region is bounded by the function y=9-x^2, which forms the top boundary of the region.

4. Why is the region bounded by y=9-x^2, X=2 rotated around the y-axis?

The region is rotated around the y-axis because the function y=9-x^2 is a function of x, meaning that the boundaries of the region are defined in terms of the x-axis. Rotating the region around the y-axis allows us to use the disk or washer method to calculate the volume.

5. What is the significance of the number 2 in this problem?

The number 2 in this problem represents the x-value at which the region is bounded. It is important to note that the region is bounded by the function y=9-x^2, which means that the x-value of 2 is the upper boundary of the region. This information is necessary for calculating the volume using the disk or washer method.