Moire pattern and interference of plane EM waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the Moire pattern in "Oppgave 5" (assignment 5) and its representation of interference between two plane EM waves with directional vectors forming an angle ##\theta##. The main question is the relationship between the angle ##\theta## and the distance between interference-strips and the wavelength of light. The solution manual gives a formula for the distance between interference-strips, but it is incorrect and a diagram and geometry are needed to find the correct relationship.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Look at the Moire pattern in "Oppgave 5" (assignment 5) in the attached pdf file. The Moire pattern you see is supposed to represent the interference between two plane EM waves whose directional ##\vec{k}## vectors form an angle ##\theta## with each other.

Anyway, the main question is: "What is the angle ##\theta## between the patterns if the distance between the interference-strips is ##\Lambda = 2mm## and the wavelength of the light is ##\lambda = 550nm##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the solutions manual, the distance between the interference-strips is given by ##\Delta \vec{k} = \vec{k_2} - \vec{k_1} ##

I do not understand how this is possible. Can somebody explain? This is the only thing I struggle with understanding.

Attachments

• Exam_des_2012_08.pdf
    574.1 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:
According to the solutions manual, the distance between the interference-strips is given by ##\Delta \vec{k} = \vec{k_2} - \vec{k_1} ##
That doesn't seem right for two reasons. First that gives a vector, not a scalar. Did you mean d = ||##\Delta \vec{k} ##||? Secondly, it surely depends on λ.
Draw a diagram with two sets of parallel lines representing the wave peaks at some instant. Identify the regions of constructive and destructive interference. With a little geometry, find the relationship between d, θ and λ.

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry, I was so tired yesterday I didn't explain it. What I meant was:

##\frac{2 \pi}{\Lambda} = |\Delta k|##

thanks for the reply, I'll try that :)

OK I got it now, thanks. Turns out I was just set astray by the solutions manual as this was really easy...

Last edited:

The Moire pattern is created when two similar patterns are overlaid on top of each other, resulting in an interference pattern. In this case, the two patterns are created by two plane EM waves with different directional vectors, forming an angle θ with each other. The distance between the interference-strips is a result of the interference between these two waves.

The equation Δk = k2 - k1 represents the difference between the two directional vectors of the waves. This difference is also known as the wave vector difference and is directly related to the angle θ between the two waves. The larger the angle θ, the larger the difference in the wave vectors and therefore, the larger the distance between the interference-strips.

To calculate the angle θ, we can use the equation Δk = 2π/λ, where λ is the wavelength of the light. By rearranging this equation, we get θ = arcsin(Δkλ/2π).

Substituting the given values of Δk = 2π/Λ and λ = 550nm, we get θ = arcsin((2π/Λ)λ/2π) = arcsin(λ/Λ) = arcsin(550nm/2mm) = 0.125°

Therefore, the angle θ between the patterns is approximately 0.125°. This means that the two waves are almost parallel to each other, resulting in a small difference in their wave vectors and a small distance between the interference-strips.

What is a Moire pattern?

A Moire pattern is a visual interference pattern that occurs when two or more grids or patterns are overlaid on top of each other. This results in a new pattern that has a different frequency and shape than the original patterns.

How do plane electromagnetic (EM) waves contribute to Moire patterns?

Plane EM waves are transverse waves that have both electric and magnetic components that oscillate perpendicular to the direction of travel. When these waves interact with each other, they can create interference patterns, including Moire patterns, due to their overlapping frequencies and amplitudes.

What factors influence the formation of Moire patterns?

The formation of Moire patterns is influenced by the angle of rotation, spacing, and orientation of the overlaid patterns. The wavelength and amplitude of the EM waves and the medium they travel through can also affect the resulting pattern.

How are Moire patterns used in practical applications?

Moire patterns have various applications, including as a tool for measuring small distances or angles, as a security feature in printing and banknotes, and in creating artistic patterns and designs. They are also used in scientific research to study the behavior of waves and their interactions.

Can Moire patterns be observed in other types of waves besides EM waves?

Yes, Moire patterns can also be observed in other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. Similar to EM waves, the interference of these waves can create patterns when they overlap. However, the specific factors that influence the formation of Moire patterns may differ for each type of wave.