Problems with file sharing programs

In summary, the speaker is having trouble getting file sharing programs to work with their school connection and has tried multiple programs without success. They have also tried disabling their virus protection and firewall, but still no luck. They suspect the school may be blocking certain ports and suggest trying the programs on a different network or checking the computer's operating system for any built-in firewalls. They also provide a link for more information on Windows XP's firewall.
Felix83
I haven't been able to get any file sharing programs to work with my computers connection. I'm using a school connection - T1 I think. I've tried Limewire, Ares, and WinMX. I got WinMX to connect and search, but nothing would download - they all just said Waiting for network response and then they eventually time out. The other two wouldn't even connect. I am using AVG for viruses and ZoneAlarm for a firewall. I setup ZL to give the programs full access and even tried shuting ZL and AVG down completely but that didn't change anything? Internet and AIM, etc work fine. Any Ideas? I am no expert so watch the lingo :). Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like the school connection is firewalled.

Yes, it sounds like your school is blocking the common p2p ports.

That can't be it, none of my friends here have had any trouble.

A simple experiment would be to take your pc to a friends room where you know it works and try it. I have no idea of how the lan your connecting to is configured so it is possible that your going thru a different server than your friends. Also what OS are you running ? If it's XP there is a built-in firewall that may be screwing things up. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common problems with file sharing programs?

Some common problems with file sharing programs include viruses and malware, copyright infringement, slow download speeds, and incomplete or corrupted files.

2. How can I protect my computer from viruses when using file sharing programs?

One way to protect your computer from viruses when using file sharing programs is to have reliable antivirus software installed and regularly updated. It is also important to be cautious when downloading files from unknown sources and to scan them for viruses before opening.

3. What are some legal concerns associated with file sharing programs?

One major legal concern with file sharing programs is copyright infringement. Downloading and sharing copyrighted material without permission is illegal and can result in legal consequences. Additionally, some file sharing programs may also expose users to potential lawsuits from copyright holders.

4. Why are some files downloaded from file sharing programs incomplete or corrupted?

Files downloaded from file sharing programs may be incomplete or corrupted due to network issues, interruptions in the download process, or intentional tampering by the uploader. It is important to use reputable file sharing programs and to check file sizes and reviews before downloading.

5. Can file sharing programs be used for legitimate purposes?

Yes, file sharing programs can be used for legitimate purposes such as sharing large files with colleagues or collaborating on projects. However, it is important to ensure that the files being shared are not copyrighted and to use reputable file sharing programs to avoid any legal or security concerns.