Kinnersley Metric: Details, Form, Reference?

• Thread starter Markus Hanke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the Wiki article about the Vaidya metric mentions a further generalization called the Kinnersley metric without providing details or a reference. It is unclear if this is a generalization of the Vaidya metric to include angular momentum or something different. A discussion in section 19.5.2 of the book "Exact Space-Times in Einstein's General Relativity" by Jerry B. Griffits and Jiri Podolsky provides more information on the Kinnersley metric. If ##\alpha = 0##, the metric reduces to the Vaidya–(anti-)de Sitter spacetime expressed in the form (19.51).
Markus Hanke
In the Wiki article about the Vaidya metric :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaidya_metric

there is mention of a "further generalisation" called the Kinnersley metric, without giving any details or even a reference. Is this a generalisation of the Vaidya metric to include angular momentum ( i.e. a radiating Kerr or Kerr-Newman solution ), or is it something different ? Does anyone have a link to the specific form of the Kinnersley metric ?

I am really just curious, and somewhat disappointed about the poor quality of this particular Wiki page, and its lack of referenced sources.

Physics news on Phys.org
The metric is known as Kinnersley's relativistic rocket. You can easily google it.

The Kinnersley photon rocket. Got it, and will do my own research into it. Thank you :)

See the interesting discussion in section 19.5.2 "Kinnersley's rocket" from the excellent book "Exact Space-Times in Einstein's General Relativity" by Jerry B. Griffits and Jiri Podolsky.

If ##\alpha = 0##, the metric (19.54) reduces to the Vaidya–(anti-)de Sitter spacetime
expressed in the form (19.51).

Thank you George Jones for the reference - unfortunately I do not own a copy of this text, but I will see what I can do to track down this book at a reasonable cost. Seems like a worthwhile investment !

1. What is the Kinnersley Metric?

The Kinnersley Metric is a mathematical measure of spacetime curvature, specifically used to describe the gravitational field around a rotating mass. It was first proposed by physicist William Kinnersley in 1969.

2. How is the Kinnersley Metric calculated?

The Kinnersley Metric is a solution to the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. It involves complex mathematical equations and is typically calculated using computer programs.

3. What is the significance of the Kinnersley Metric?

The Kinnersley Metric is significant because it provides a mathematical model for understanding the gravitational field around a rotating mass, such as a spinning black hole. It has been used in numerous studies and simulations to better understand the behavior of these objects.

4. How is the Kinnersley Metric used in astrophysics?

The Kinnersley Metric is used in astrophysics to study and model the behavior of rotating objects in space, such as black holes and neutron stars. It helps scientists to understand the effects of gravity on these objects and how they interact with their surroundings.

5. Are there any limitations to the Kinnersley Metric?

Like any scientific model, the Kinnersley Metric has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, and it may not accurately describe extreme or complex scenarios. Additionally, it only applies to rotating masses and does not account for other factors that may affect the gravitational field.