Expanding Universe: Questions Beyond Our Sight

• Thread starter lnsanity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the question asks whether objects in the region of space that are receding faster than the speed of light would go backward in time relative to us. However, this is based on a misunderstanding of recession velocity as speed, which it is not. A deeper understanding of the concept of metric expansion is needed to fully grasp this phenomenon.
lnsanity
Question the thing in the region of space that cannot be seen from us because they recede faster than the speed of light would not they go backward in time relative to us since they exceed the speed of light relative to us ? I know we cannot see it but would not it be true ? or I am missing something ?

Physics news on Phys.org
lnsanity said:
Question the thing in the region of space that cannot be seen from us because they recede faster than the speed of light would not they go backward in time relative to us since they exceed the speed of light relative to us ? I know we cannot see it but would not it be true ? or I am missing something ?

Yes, what you are missing, as you will see if you read the thread linked to in the post above mine, is that you are taking recession velocity as speed, which it is not (in the sense that you are using it).

Google "metric expansion" for more discussion.

What is the expanding universe?

The expanding universe is a theory that suggests the universe is continuously growing and changing, with galaxies moving away from each other. This expansion can be observed through the redshift of light from distant galaxies.

What evidence supports the expanding universe theory?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the expanding universe theory is the redshift of light from distant galaxies. This redshift is caused by the expansion of the universe and can be observed through the Doppler effect. Other evidence includes the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

How does the expanding universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The expanding universe theory is closely related to the Big Bang theory, as it suggests that the universe originated from a single point and has been expanding ever since. The Big Bang theory also explains the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a key piece of evidence for the expanding universe.

Can we see the expansion of the universe?

While we cannot directly see the expansion of the universe, we can observe its effects through the redshift of light and other evidence mentioned previously. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to study the expansion of the universe.

What does the expanding universe mean for the future of the universe?

The expanding universe suggests that the universe will continue to expand and grow, with galaxies becoming more and more spread out. It also suggests that the expansion of the universe will eventually lead to the end of the universe, known as the "heat death", where all matter and energy will be evenly distributed and the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy.