Anyone know how we can improve our mental math skills?

• Thread starter imranq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, practicing mental math can be improved with strategies like breaking the calculation up into many simple approximate calculations, and learning to use Vedic math.
imranq
The other day I decided to calculate 1.225 x 36 in my head (this was a calculation in one of my problem sets) and I found that it took me a lot longer than I originally thought. So I was wondering if there was any sort of strategy to gradually improve this skill.

Here's a strategy I am beginning to use:
Before I go to sleep, I come up with with 7 problems (written down) to do in my head (simple ones like 23 + 43 and 346 - 987) and then check the answers with a basic calculator. Then, with my eyes closed, I do one hard problem (e.g. 3423 x 1490) so I can actually fall asleep. I've gotten considerably better with only a few weeks of doing this. But are there other strategies? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you want more responses, judging by the other brilliant threads here you need to call this something like, how do we improve our math skills and learn what women are thinking?

mathwonk said:
if you want more responses, judging by the other brilliant threads here you need to call this something like, how do we improve our math skills and learn what women are thinking?

And what to wear when we do all these mental calisthenics.

The only mental math I do is rough estimation, and I've gotten pretty good at it I think. It just takes practice and knowing how to approximate certain numbers and how to correct for that approximation.

But exact mental arithmetic? No way. I have better things to do.

If you are really serious about mental calculation, check out these kids (watch through at least 1:25-1:40).

They have trained so much with an abacus, that they can take away the abacus and do fast calculations via muscle memory by moving their hands on an imaginary abacus in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
mathwonk said:

lisab said:
And what to wear when we do all these mental calisthenics.

What to wear is pretty obvious. We should wear http://www.zazzle.com/math+tshirts.

imranq said:
The other day I decided to calculate 1.225 x 36 in my head (this was a calculation in one of my problem sets) and I found that it took me a lot longer than I originally thought. So I was wondering if there was any sort of strategy to gradually improve this skill.

Here's a strategy I am beginning to use:
Before I go to sleep, I come up with with 7 problems (written down) to do in my head (simple ones like 23 + 43 and 346 - 987) and then check the answers with a basic calculator. Then, with my eyes closed, I do one hard problem (e.g. 3423 x 1490) so I can actually fall asleep. I've gotten considerably better with only a few weeks of doing this. But are there other strategies? Thanks.

Usually, when I do these calculations in my head (such as 1.225 x 36) I break the calculation up into many simple approximate calculations. I'll break it up as 1x36 + 0.250x36 = 45. Not a bad approximation to 44.1. But then again, I reckon most people do this.

Dunno about making it better, maybe just faster, but check out Vedic math. It's really cool, I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. I think www.vedicmaths.org works but I'm not sure...

If you're really feeling diligent about this, here's a website I found a while ago:

http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/ArithShortcuts/ShortestShortcut.htm"
It's complicated, but it looks kind of cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
binzing said:
Dunno about making it better, maybe just faster, but check out Vedic math. It's really cool, I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. I think www.vedicmaths.org works but I'm not sure...

Dunno, I heard this was a scam

It's not, try it out, its pretty cool.

I can say that I'm not an expert, all I need to do for improvements is practice, practice and practice. Always challenge yourself and learn from it.

mathwonk said:

Haha, that's true.

If you want to do that, read a psychology article before bed. And just before bed, look up an assignment question, and go to bed. Solve that question in your head while in bed with your eyes closed.

Kind of what I do. :uhh:

1. How important is it to improve our mental math skills?

Improving mental math skills is essential for performing everyday tasks such as calculating tips, managing budgets, and making quick decisions. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in various fields of science and beyond.

2. What are some strategies to improve mental math skills?

There are several strategies that can help improve mental math skills, such as practicing mental math exercises, breaking down complex problems into simpler ones, using visualization techniques, and using mnemonics to remember key formulas and concepts.

3. How can I make mental math practice more engaging?

Making mental math practice more engaging can involve incorporating fun games and challenges, using real-life scenarios and examples, and setting achievable goals to track progress. It's also helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for accountability and motivation.

4. Are there any specific techniques for improving mental math skills?

Yes, there are various techniques that can aid in improving mental math skills, such as the split and merge method, the rounding method, the doubling and halving method, and the left-to-right method. It's essential to find the method that works best for you and practice it consistently.

5. Can mental math skills be improved at any age?

Yes, mental math skills can be improved at any age with consistent practice and dedication. Research has shown that the brain has the capacity to change and adapt, so it's never too late to start working on improving mental math skills.