How do we find the real part of the integral of sec(x) sec(x)?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Anyway, Caspar Wessel was a mathematician who developed the Wessel Plane. This is a plane that is used to solve certain types of quadratic equations. The Wessel Plane is named after Caspar Wessel because he was the first to discover how to use it to solve equations.
cragar
[tex]
sec(x) = \frac{2}{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}
[/tex]
then i multply bot top and bottom by [tex] e^{ix} [/tex]
so i can do a u substitution
[tex] u=e^{ix} du=ie^{ix} [/tex]
so then [tex] \int {\frac{2du}{(u^2+1)i}}
=\frac {2arctan(u)}{i}} [/tex]
so then i turn the arctan into a log
then i get [tex] ln|e^{ix}+i|-ln|e^{ix}-i| + c [/tex]
then how do i get the real part out if this .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you MIGHT do it that way, but a simpler integration would be to set:
[tex]1=\cos^2(\frac{x}{2})+\sin^{2}\frac{x}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\cos(x)=\cos^{2}(\frac{x}{2})-\sin^{2}(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
These identities implies:
[tex]\sec(x)=\frac{1+\tan^{2}(\frac{x}{2})}{1-\tan^{2}(\frac{x}{2})}[/tex]
Setting, therefore:
[tex]u=\tan(\frac{x}{2})\to\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\sec^{2}(\frac{x}{2})=\frac{1}{2}(1+u^{2})[/tex]

You'll get a rational integrand in u that you can solve by partial fractions decomposition:
[tex]\int\sec(x)dx=\int\frac{2du}{1-u^{2}}[/tex]

sorry i should have said i want to see it done with complex numbers ,
I have done it that way before . but i wrote it like
[tex] \frac{cos(x)}{1-(sin(x))^2} [/tex]
then u=sin(x) and du=cos(x)

Combine the two log terms into one, and use [tex]Log z = \ln |z| + i Arg(z)[/tex]. Ie the Real part is simply the natural log of the modulus.

thanks for all of your answers guys , I am not sure what modulus is i tired looking it up
could you maybe tell me where to read about it i have only had calc 3 .

I'm sure you have if your doing integration like this! The modulus of a complex number a+bi is sqrt(a^2+b^2). You can think of it as the length of the line that connects the origin to a+bi on the Argand Plane.

Gib Z said:
I'm sure you have if your doing integration like this! The modulus of a complex number a+bi is sqrt(a^2+b^2). You can think of it as the length of the line that connects the origin to a+bi on the Argand Plane.

Wessel Plane, if I may.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Wessel

Ahh my mistake !

In mathematics often things aren't named after who really should have gotten credit for them! There's a joke that for an entire century after Euler, to ensure other mathematicians got some recognition, things were named after the first person after Euler to discover it. =]

1. What is the definition of the integral of sec(x)?

The integral of sec(x) is a mathematical concept that represents the area under the graph of the secant function between two given points on the x-axis. This can also be interpreted as finding the antiderivative of the secant function.

2. How do you solve for the integral of sec(x)?

The integral of sec(x) can be solved using various techniques such as integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, or partial fractions. The appropriate method to use depends on the form of the integral and the level of complexity.

3. Is there a specific formula for the integral of sec(x)?

Yes, there is a specific formula for the integral of sec(x), which is: ∫sec(x)dx = ln|sec(x) + tan(x)| + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. What are the common applications of the integral of sec(x)?

The integral of sec(x) has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where the area under a curve needs to be calculated. It is also used in calculating the arc length, surface area, and volume of certain curves and shapes.

5. Are there any special properties or rules associated with the integral of sec(x)?

Yes, there are some special properties and rules associated with the integral of sec(x). For instance, the integral of sec(x) is an odd function, meaning that ∫sec(x)dx = -∫sec(x)dx. Additionally, the integral of sec(x) has a vertical asymptote at x = 0, which needs to be taken into account when evaluating the integral.