Wire sag calculation Catenary?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the formula for wire sag over a given length, horizontal tension, and wire diameter. The formula is believed to be a catenary, but the specific application is unclear. Additional resources and information are provided to help with the calculation.
Machinist1
Hi all!

I have an odd question that i thought somebody with a degree could help with. I am looking to find the formula to describe wire sag over a given length and given horizontal tension and given wire diameter. I believe the formula is a catenary but am unsure how to apply it to my situation.

I have a .024" (inch) wire diameter.
i have a horizontal tension of 30 lbs
i have a distance between level centres of 30ft

help would be greatly appreciated.

sorry if this is in the wrong category, its my first day :P

PS: i have a chart from a website i found but the description is suspect, here is the link.
http://www.millwrightmasters.com/School/tight_wire_sag_chart.htm

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bill Simpson said:
Will this do what you want?

http://www.spaceagecontrol.com/calccabl.htm

You need the weight of your cable per unit length and I don't know what your cable is made of.
right sorry, forgot to mention the wire is steel with a weight of 491lbs/cuft. so .284lbs/cuin (.001542lbs per linear ft)

and according to that website, the lowest point on the curve is .005". and i see on the chart i provided that the sag is .031" (lets say the chart is proven but uses a .016" wire, the spaceagecontrol website does not come close to the chart on the millwright website).

Hey, that Millwright website sag calculator was based on info I had provided in response to a question posted some time ago on these forums! It was based on the parabolic approximation to the catenary curve, which is pretty darn accurate when sag to span ratios are small.

Anyway, the two charts are just about identical. For .016 inch diameter steel cable strung to 30 pounds in a 30 foot span, the sag is , per the Millwright site, .031 inches. And per Mr. Simpson's spaceage site, the sag is .002551 feet, which is also .031 inches to 3 sig figures. I think you forgot to convert feet to inches.

When sag-span ratios are less than about 10 percent, the parabolic approximation
[itex]sag = wL^2/8T_H[/itex] is very good to 3 significant figures, where L is the horizontal span in feet, w is the weight of the cable in pounds per foot, [itex]T_H[/itex] is the horizontal tension at the lowpoint of the cable, in pounds, and the sag is in feet. Otherwise, use the spaceage site.

thank you Jay. i think i might have been getting mixed up with the catenary equation because it asks for weight per unit length. so i assumed it meant the full weight of the wire over 30ft span. not just the length of 1 foot of wire.

1. How is wire sag calculated in a catenary?

Wire sag in a catenary is calculated using the equation: S = (L/2)(cosh(T/2a) - 1), where S is the sag distance, L is the length of the wire, T is the tension in the wire, and a is the horizontal distance between the highest point of the catenary and the point where the wire is attached.

2. What factors affect the sag of a wire in a catenary?

The sag of a wire in a catenary is affected by several factors, including the tension in the wire, the weight of the wire, the distance between attachment points, and the temperature of the wire. These factors can all impact the shape and position of the catenary curve.

3. How does the sag of a wire in a catenary impact its strength?

The sag of a wire in a catenary can significantly impact its strength and ability to withstand tension and weight. An excessive sag can cause the wire to become overstretched, leading to potential failure or breakage. It is important to calculate the sag accurately to ensure the wire can handle the expected load.

4. What is the purpose of calculating wire sag in a catenary?

Calculating wire sag in a catenary is essential for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the wire. It helps to determine the appropriate tension and support needed for the wire, ensuring it can withstand its intended load and environmental conditions. Accurate sag calculations also help to prevent damage or failure of the wire, which can be costly and dangerous.

5. Are there any common methods for calculating wire sag in a catenary?

Yes, there are several methods for calculating wire sag in a catenary, including the parabolic equation, the hyperbolic equation, and the Hooke's law method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method to use may depend on the specific conditions and requirements of the wire system.