Conductivity in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms

In summary: However, because of the spin-orbit interaction, the degenerate level of the Ne atom will be filled with two electrons instead of one, giving it a band structure similar to that of O. So while a chain of fluorine atoms would be an insulator, a chain of Ne or O atoms would be a conductor.
bushman00
If we prepare a chain of flourine atoms: F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F we can construct the band structure shown. I'm using flourine as an example but my question can be generalized: What do we know about the conductivity of a material (such as this 1D chain) when the fermi level lies in the conduction band, ie. above the band gap? I'm also curious how the fermi level would rise and fall if this chain would have been constructed from F- or F + ions. I imagine with the F- ion because all the bands are filled, the structure is most certainly insulating but where would F+ lie?

BM

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-10 at 11.26.53 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-10 at 11.26.53 AM.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 739
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea of a band gap normally refers to the difference in energy between an entirely full (valence) band and an entirely empty (conduction) band. Here, since you have a half-filled band, the system would be metallic if you believe the simplified band structure diagram you’ve attached. (In fact, one-dimensional metals will spontaneously undergo a distortion that makes them insulating – google “Peierls distortion” for more on this if you’re interested.)

As for your second questions: where do you think the Fermi level would fall in a hypothetical chain of F+ ions? (Note of course that this would be unstable in real life since it would carry an infinite amount of charge!)

Thanks for the response, I'm under the impression that the band gap exists in a region whereby bands don't overlap or in other words where the density of states is 0. So to some degree what you're saying must be an extension of this principle?

Considering the fermi level for a chain of F+ I would presume it would lie slightly below its placement for the F chain, at the level of the degenerate pi orbitals. But what does this imply about its conductivity? It still overlaps the pz sigma character band (that is now unoccupied) so doesn't this make it a metal?

To extend this concept a bit further, wouldn't F2+ (ignoring infinite charge) also lie in the same place as F+ because there would still exist one fully occupied pi degenerate orbital? I believe that S would also share a similar chain band structure as F+ as well but without the infinite charge to make the theory a little less fictitious. Thanks,

BM

Even if the chain of fluorine (not flourine) atoms were stable against Peierls distortion, it would probably not be a conductor but a Mott insulator. A one-electron band structure does not allow you to decide whether a substance will be a conductor when there are strong electronic correlation effects. In the process of conduction, electrons would have to hop independently from one atom to the next, thereby creating F^+ F^- pairs, which is very awkward due to the high electronegativity of fluorine.

Instead of considering a chain of F^+ or F^- I would consider a chain of isoelectronic O or Ne atoms, respectively. Ne is certainly an insulator and O too.

1. What is a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms?

A one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms is a linear arrangement of flourine atoms in a single row or chain. This structure can be found in certain types of molecules or crystals.

2. How does conductivity occur in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms?

Conductivity in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms occurs due to the movement of electrons along the chain. These electrons can easily travel through the atoms, allowing for the flow of electricity.

3. What factors affect the conductivity in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms?

The conductivity in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms can be affected by factors such as the length of the chain, the number of flourine atoms, and the arrangement of the atoms. These factors can impact the ease of electron movement and therefore affect conductivity.

4. How is the conductivity in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms measured?

The conductivity in a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms can be measured using a variety of techniques, including electrical conductivity measurements and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to observe the flow of electrons and determine the conductivity of the chain.

5. What are the potential applications of a one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms with high conductivity?

A one-dimensional chain of flourine atoms with high conductivity has potential applications in fields such as electronics, energy storage, and catalysis. It could be used to create efficient and lightweight electronic devices, improve battery performance, and facilitate chemical reactions.