What's the most active field of physics nowadays?

In summary, the most active field of physics nowadays is condensed matter, with a majority of PhDs being granted in that subfield. Theoretical high energy physics may not be worth doing for those who are more interested in real-life applications, as it may take decades for theories to be proven. The entry barrier for HEP is also difficult to overcome. On the other hand, condensed matter research has direct applications and can lead to job opportunities in both academia and the tech/engineering sectors.
scottbekerham
I have some questions.
Is theoretical high energy physics worth doing ? What's the current state of research ?
Which is easier one to get quickly into research ,Condensed matter or particle physics, string theory etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
scottbekerham said:
I have some questions.

Condensed matter.

scottbekerham said:
Is theoretical high energy physics worth doing ? What's the current state of research ?

Could you possibly be any vaguer on this?

scottbekerham said:
Which is easier one to get quickly into research ,Condensed matter or particle physics, string theory etc.?

Doesn't this depend on a lot on where you are?

I hear people saying that theoretical HEP is very difficult . The entry barrier is very hard to penetrate and similar stories . Also and most importantly it has no connection to real life and it will take decades to produce a real theory so one should better study condensed matter that have applications etc.

I mean one who is working on strings feels that theories he's developing will turn out to be ultimately false (It's just some mathematical curiousity) but in condensed matter one study graphene and other things that's very important in real life

If you look at this report:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/physgrad2008.pdf
on page 11 you'll see a breakdown of physics PhDs granted by subfield. Although the data is now about 5 years old, condensed matter seems to be a clear leader and I doubt that's changed.

scottbekerham said:
I mean one who is working on strings feels that theories he's developing will turn out to be ultimately false (It's just some mathematical curiousity) but in condensed matter one study graphene and other things that's very important in real life

Well then it sounds like you answered your own question. If working on things that could just be a 'mathematical curiosity' doesn't appeal to you, then from your perspective it's not worth doing.

For condensed matter PHD's, what are industry employment prospects like? Do they have greater odds of getting jobs in academia, and of working in tech/engineering sectors (if I can't be a physicist, at least I can work in tech or engineering).

1. What is the most active field of physics nowadays?

The most active field of physics currently is quantum computing. This field is focused on developing and using quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems and perform calculations much faster than traditional computers.

2. What makes quantum computing such an active field in physics?

Quantum computing is an active field in physics because it has the potential to revolutionize industries such as finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. It also has implications for scientific research, as it can help solve complex problems and simulations that were previously impossible.

3. Are there any other active fields in physics besides quantum computing?

Yes, there are several other active fields in physics, such as astrophysics, biophysics, and materials science. These fields are constantly evolving and pushing the boundaries of our understanding of the universe.

4. How can I get involved in the most active fields of physics?

To get involved in the most active fields of physics, you can pursue a degree in physics or a related field and participate in research opportunities. You can also attend conferences and workshops to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in these fields.

5. What impact do the most active fields of physics have on our daily lives?

The most active fields of physics have a significant impact on our daily lives. For example, quantum computing has the potential to greatly improve technology and make our devices faster and more efficient. Astrophysics helps us understand the origins and workings of the universe, while biophysics helps us understand the principles behind biological processes. Materials science has led to the development of new and improved materials for various applications, from electronics to medicine.