MSc in Physics, PhD in engineering?

In summary, it is possible for a student with a MSc in physics to do a PhD in an engineering field, but the knowledge that is initially absent may make it more difficult to successfully "switch" fields. There are various ways in which this may be done, with varying degrees of difficulty, but ultimately the committee determining the course requirements and qualifier exam should be within the engineering school.
Niles
Hi

Is it possible for a student with a MSc in physics to do a PhD in an engineering field, e.g. electrical or mechanical? There are a parameter I am mainly concerned with here:

With a degree in Physics it is reasonable to assume that the student should be able to learn the necessary material for the engineering PhD project. But my question is, is the fact that this knowledge is initially absent something that makes it improbable to "switch" fields? I mean, there will always be an engineering candidate that has this initial knowledge.

I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is technically possible to do a PhD with no previous qualification in a field - you just have to be able to show that you are good enough. You should talk to the college.

Niles said:
Hi

Is it possible for a student with a MSc in physics to do a PhD in an engineering field, e.g. electrical or mechanical? There are a parameter I am mainly concerned with here:

With a degree in Physics it is reasonable to assume that the student should be able to learn the necessary material for the engineering PhD project. But my question is, is the fact that this knowledge is initially absent something that makes it improbable to "switch" fields? I mean, there will always be an engineering candidate that has this initial knowledge.

I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this matter.
It should be possible. We had physics majors in our graduate nuclear engineering program. Engineering afterall is just applied physics. One may have to take certain upper level undergraduate or introductory graduate courses in the particular engineering discipline.

As Simon Bridge indicated, one should check with the university and engineering school as well as the engineering department of the relevant discipline.

Simon Bridge said:
It is technically possible to do a PhD with no previous qualification in a field - you just have to be able to show that you are good enough.

Has that ever actually happened? Like someone without a degree getting a PhD?

I know of one case that was discussed in a faculty meeting ... the applicant had been self-educated and had been doing research for quite a while. I'm not counting honorary degrees here though ... which, I understand, used to be for this purpose. The discussion centered around what was to be required for granting a degree and should the previous work be counted towards a lesser degree first. The consensus was that there wasn't any point formally awarding the lesser degree if the work was good enough to be turned into a PhD thesis. Some people thought he should have to complete at least a postgrad diploma before being accepted... which is more usual, for instance, where someone is returning to study after a lengthy hiatus.

This would, of course, be extremely rare. It would also depend a great deal on the faculty: they are within their rights just to refuse out of hand. But you'd hope that, in a meritocracy, work worthy of a degree would win the degree right?

Do engineering schools in the US, in general, have qualifying exams the way we do in physics? I know a few that do, but I don't know if this is true in general.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do engineering schools in the US, in general, have qualifying exams the way we do in physics? I know a few that do, but I don't know if this is true in general.

Zz.

Yes they do Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

All of the schools I applied to (and some others I know about second hand) had some sort of exams. However, what those exams entailed can vary greatly from school to school. Some have formal written exams, and often the candidates must choose M out of N subjects (say, 3 out of 6, or some such thing). Others had oral exams with one or more profs. Some had certain scores you had to make in order to pass. One school determined ahead of time what percentage (40% was the number I recall) of the students would pass.

Where I was, the graduate committee was King. They determined your course requirements (department had no course requirements at all!), and determined the nature of the qualifier exam - in my case it was an oral exam where anything was fair game. I botched a simple probability question so was forced to take a class, which ended up being very good for me and my career is much better for it! After we were done with classes, we had another exam, the admission to candidacy exam. Again, that was whatever the committee wanted, and mine was oral once again. I was given one month notice, and my only responsibility that month was to study for the exam. I knew other students in the same department with different committees that had completely different arrangements - even formal written exams for qualifiers and research proposals for admission to candidacy.

The OP should look at the exam structure as part of chosing where to apply. The exams at some schools may essentially require taking a bunch of undergrad classes, while other schools' exams may be more conducive to the background of the OP.

good luck

jason

Fluxthroughme said:
Has that ever actually happened? Like someone without a degree getting a PhD?

Wittgenstein was in the middle of studying engineering when he came to Cambridge to study the foundations of mathematics with Russell. He got his PhD for 'Tractatus' without - as far as I know - getting an undergrad or master's in anything.

1. What is the difference between an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Engineering?

An MSc in Physics is a Master of Science degree focused on the study of fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. A PhD in Engineering, on the other hand, is a Doctor of Philosophy degree focused on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes to solve real-world problems.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Engineering with a background in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Engineering with a background in Physics. Many engineering programs accept students with a strong foundation in physics, as it provides a solid understanding of fundamental principles and mathematical skills necessary for engineering research.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a MSc in Physics and a PhD in Engineering?

With an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Engineering, you will have a variety of career opportunities. You can work in research and development, academia, government agencies, or private industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and healthcare. Both degrees also provide a strong foundation for pursuing a career in data science or technology.

4. How long does it take to complete an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Engineering?

The length of time to complete an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Engineering can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. Typically, an MSc in Physics takes 2 years to complete, while a PhD in Engineering can take 4-6 years. However, the length of time also depends on the research project and progress of the student.

5. What skills will I develop through an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Engineering?

Through an MSc in Physics, you will develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of fundamental principles and mathematical concepts. With a PhD in Engineering, you will further develop your research skills, critical thinking, and project management abilities. Both degrees also provide opportunities to develop technical skills in areas such as data analysis, programming, and experimental design.