Intersection of straight line with (lagrange) polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of calculating the intersection of two straight lines and the possibility of applying this method to find the intersection between a straight line and a second order polynomial. The suggested approach involves transforming the polynomial to the unit plane and parameterizing both the line and the polynomial to find their intersection.
bigfooted
Gold Member
Hi,

To calculate the intersection of two straight lines the cross product of the line vectors can be used, i.e. when the lines start in points p and q, and have direction vectors r and s, then if the cross product r x s is nonzero, the intersection point is q+us, and can be found from
[itex]p+t\cdot r = q+u\cdot s[/itex].
using
[itex]t=\frac{(q-p)\times s}{r \times s}[/itex]

I was wondering how to derive such a relationship for the intersection between a straight line and a second order polynomial.

Specifically, I'm interested in second order Lagrange (and 3rd order Hermite) polynomials:

[itex]x=\Psi_1x_1+\Psi_2x_2+\Psi_3x_3[/itex],

with

[itex]\Psi_i=\prod_{M=1,M ≠ N}^{n}\frac{\xi-\xi_M}{\xi_N-\xi_M}[/itex]

where [itex]\xi=0..1[/itex] and [itex]x_1[/itex] is the starting point, [itex]x_2[/itex] the midpoint and [itex]x_3[/itex] the endpoint

My guess is that standard techniques to find the intersection first transform the second order polynomial to the unit plane where the polynomial reduces to a line, then find the intersection and then transform back, but a (quick) search didn't give me anything.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The usual procedure would be to parameterize both of them and look for the intersections. I can't see how the normals would help here.

1. What is the significance of the intersection of a straight line with a Lagrange polynomial?

The intersection of a straight line with a Lagrange polynomial is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in the field of calculus. It represents the point at which the two functions have the same value and is used to solve problems involving optimization and finding the roots of polynomials.

2. How do you determine the coordinates of the intersection point between a straight line and a Lagrange polynomial?

To determine the coordinates of the intersection point, you can set the equations for the straight line and the Lagrange polynomial equal to each other and solve for the variables. Alternatively, you can graph the two functions and visually identify the point of intersection.

3. Can a straight line intersect with a Lagrange polynomial at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for a straight line to intersect with a Lagrange polynomial at more than one point. This occurs when the polynomial has multiple roots or when the line is parallel to the tangent line of the polynomial at a certain point.

4. How is the intersection of a straight line with a Lagrange polynomial used in real-world applications?

The intersection of a straight line with a Lagrange polynomial has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It is used to analyze and optimize various functions, such as cost and profit equations in business or trajectory and motion equations in physics.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the intersection of a straight line with a Lagrange polynomial?

One limitation is that the intersection point may not always be easily determined, especially for more complex polynomials. Additionally, the accuracy of the intersection point may be affected by errors or approximations in the calculations or measurements used to obtain the polynomial function. It is important to carefully consider these factors when using this concept in real-world applications.