Smoke Bombs

by Neptune2235
Tags: bombs, smoke
Share this thread:
Neptune2235
Mar22-14, 09:44 PM
P: 2
Hi,

Recently, I made a batch of smoke bombs using potassium nitrate, sugar, and baking soda (to regulate reaction speed). My first batch took about four days to dry which seemed odd, however, they produced a fair amount of smoke. For my second batch, I decided to put the potassium nitrate I synthesized from ammonium nitrate and potassium chloride (not the purest form of potassium nitrate, but it's all I had :/) into the oven on low heat to completely dry it out. After about ten-fifteen minutes the KNO3 was dry and I mixed it together with sugar (omitting the baking soda this time), however, the mixture never fully congealed. When ignited, the semi-congealed mass produced a fairly large amount of smoke and then caught fire. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chinese scientists use laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy to identify toxic cooking 'gutter oil'
New insights into 'switchable water' have implications for water purification and desalination
A glucose meter of a different color provides continuous monitoring
Borek
Mar23-14, 04:38 AM
Admin
P: 23,567
Sorry, we don't discuss pyrotechnics here.

Register to reply