Do certain colors trigger certain areas of brain activity?

In summary, Erazman says that color perception varies from culture to culture, and even on an individual level, and that mapping out the active spots for each color would be difficult. He also says that the idea is not feasible because it is easier to find where an object is represented than to try to interpret an image that is not there.
Erazman
I know nothing about this science, but i was on mushrooms the other night and came up with an idea..

I've seen scans done on the discovery channel on the brain during certain thought processes. If you were to show a screen of red, compared to a screen of yellow to the subject, would different parts of the brain become "active"?

If this is possible, then why don't we try to interpret full images that the subject can see and convert the image from Brain to Computer just by mapping out all the active spots for each color.

example.. see what part of the brain is active when the subject see's a point in space of color (325, 240)...

this conversion of the image seen into the brain to a computer image would have be pretty f'ing cool..

we could share our dreams, look into criminal minds, the possibilities are endless..

i guess the trick would be to pinpoint the active parts of the brain due to certain points of color while ignoring the "other" activity..
could just keep doing multiple comparisons using intelligent software...

Biology news on Phys.org
Erazman said:
I know nothing about this science, but i was on mushrooms the other night and came up with an idea..
I've seen scans done on the discovery channel on the brain during certain thought processes. If you were to show a screen of red, compared to a screen of yellow to the subject, would different parts of the brain become "active"?
If this is possible, then why don't we try to interpret full images that the subject can see and convert the image from Brain to Computer just by mapping out all the active spots for each color.
example.. see what part of the brain is active when the subject see's a point in space of color (325, 240)...
this conversion of the image seen into the brain to a computer image would have be pretty f'ing cool..
we could share our dreams, look into criminal minds, the possibilities are endless..
i guess the trick would be to pinpoint the active parts of the brain due to certain points of color while ignoring the "other" activity..
could just keep doing multiple comparisons using intelligent software...

The problem with color and perception is that it varies from culture to culture, and even varies on a smaller individual level. I remember a thread on here a while ago regarding object identification through EEG, similar to what you are proposing.

Erazman said:
but i was on mushrooms the other night and came up with an idea..

Ahhh the old hallucinogen enduced epiphany. Never fails.

BeerBaron said:
The problem with color and perception is that it varies from culture to culture, and even varies on a smaller individual level. I remember a thread on here a while ago regarding object identification through EEG, similar to what you are proposing.

Then learn the "brain language" of each individual. I wasn't thinking you'd be able to use the same interpretation engine for everybody. You'd have to find the person's unique image perception by testing them the way i had said..

BeerBaron said:
Ahhh the old hallucinogen enduced epiphany. Never fails.

wasn't really an "epiphany".. the definition of that word just doesn't fit. It was more of just an idea. The same kind of idea i would think of in a drug-free state of mind.

Erazman said:
"If this is possible, then why don't we try to interpret full images that the subject can see and convert the image from Brain to Computer just by mapping out all the active spots for each color.

example.. see what part of the brain is active when the subject see's a point in space of color (325, 240)... "

I'm pretty sure that the brain's repersentation of what it sees is highly symbolic and is far from being an easily interpreted XY pixel-esque grid of neuron groups that are divided into colors. I.e.: no television screen in your brain. There'd be no use in replicating what's already on your retina; the purpose of your mind is to process, and that entails discriminating the significant portions (objects, etc) and separating them to pass them on to other regions - there's no homonuculous(sp definitely) watching a TV in there.
So the main problem with your interesting idea is not that it was concieved on shrooms or in our problem of different color perception; it's that it is probably easier to find where one repersents objects one by one (houses, etc - they've done this with training) and detect that sort of activity than to go searching for a non-existant screen in there.

lates,
cotarded

Erazman said:
...The same kind of idea i would think of in a drug-free state of mind.
Then why did you choose to state you were on shrooms? I find that your choice to state it the way you did displays your belief that you require drugs to have these 'good ideas'.

Erazman said:
do certain colors trigger certain areas of brain activity?
There is a certain specific area of the brain where color is generated and damage to that area will result in colorblindness. I am too lazy to thumb through it myself right now, but Oliver Sacks wrote a book called An Anthropologist On Mars which contains, among others, the account of a man who lost all color vision after damaging this part of his brain in a car accident. I don't recall where this area is located, but, to answer your question, any and all colors would trigger activity there. You would also find activity in the occipital lobes because, of course, all visual imput is processed there. At the same time you'd just about certainly find activity in the limbic system where emotions are generated because most people have some emotional response to color. You'd probably also find responses in the frontal and temporal lobes as the person thought about what they were looking at and feeling. Sensory imput always activates lots of areas.

What is the relationship between colors and brain activity?

There is a strong relationship between colors and brain activity. Colors can stimulate different areas of the brain and trigger various emotional and physiological responses.

Which colors are associated with which areas of the brain?

Different colors are associated with different areas of the brain. For example, red is linked to the amygdala, which is responsible for processing emotions, while blue is associated with the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for decision-making.

Do certain colors have a universal effect on brain activity?

While there are some general associations between colors and brain activity, the effects of colors can vary based on personal experiences, cultural backgrounds, and individual preferences. Therefore, the impact of colors on brain activity may not be universal.

Can colors affect our mood and behavior?

Yes, colors can affect our mood and behavior. For example, warm colors like red and orange can evoke feelings of energy and excitement, while cool colors like blue and green can promote relaxation and calmness.

Is there scientific evidence to support the impact of colors on brain activity?

Yes, there is scientific evidence that supports the impact of colors on brain activity. Studies have shown that colors can influence brain activity and have physiological effects such as changing heart rate and blood pressure. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between colors and brain activity.