Radiant Energy from Sun: Visible Light vs. IR

• Thread starter CobblyWorlds
  • Start date
In summary, radiant energy from the sun is composed of two main types: visible light and infrared (IR). Visible light is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to the human eye, while IR is a form of radiation that is not visible to the human eye but can be felt as heat. Both forms of radiant energy play important roles in sustaining life on Earth, with visible light providing energy for photosynthesis in plants and IR helping to regulate the planet's temperature. However, excessive exposure to IR can also be harmful to living organisms. Overall, understanding the differences between visible light and IR is crucial in comprehending the impact of solar radiation on our planet.
CobblyWorlds
On a sunny day, notably in Winter, your hand can feel warmth from the Sun, but as soon as you step out of the Sun your hand feels cold. This suggests that the effect is radiant energy from the Sun. That's all rather trite.

But is the radiant energy that makes you feel warm actually mostly due to absorption of visible light and UV (ultraviolet) and less due to IR (infrared)?

Referring to a spectrum of incident solar radiation at ground, such as here in fig 2.5 http://www-paoc.mit.edu/labweb/notes/chap2.pdf . As the intensity of solar radiation peaks in the visible, and the lower part of the IR band is heavily attenuated. It seems to me that the warming is not IR direct from the Sun, but visible and UV being absobed and causing heating.

Regards,

CobblyWorlds.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at figure 2.5c - that's the relevant one, the fraction of radiation actually absorbed between the troposphere and ground level. Don't look at transmittance past 3 microns, there's negligible solar radiation there. "Most" of the UVA and visible/IR gets through pretty easily. Since 95% of of the radiative energy is between 250nm and 2500nm (fig. 2.2 caption) (i.e., UVB, UVA, visible, and near infrared), that's where the heating comes from. One more factor, how much of incident radiation on the skin is absorbed vs. reflected? IR has an advantage here.

The same atmospheric transmittance graph is also on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Atmospheric_transmittance_infrared.gif , only more readable because it "fills in" the area under the curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look what I found - Solar Irradiance at sea level!

Always pay very close attention to the scales. This graph is linear in wavelength, and the y-axis has units of watts per wavelength, so just integrating the area gives you a measure of power! This graph only goes up to 3um (the relevant energies); other graphs above went up to 15um (mostly irrelevant stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:
Rach3 said:
Look what I found - Solar Irradiance at sea level!

Always pay very close attention to the scales. This graph is linear in wavelength, and the y-axis has units of watts per wavelength, so just integrating the area gives you a measure of power! This graph only goes up to 3um (the relevant energies); other graphs above went up to 15um (mostly irrelevant stuff).

Up to 15 microns is irrelevant? There is quite a bit of work done in industry for radiation out to 15 microns. We are not interseted until we hit 2 microns and the interest builds as we get to longer wavelengths.

Thanks for the graph you link to, which effectively takes the imagination out of combining the sun's spectrum with the absorption spectra. One small point, I think you mean graph b, in the doc I linked to, whose caption is: " The fraction of radiation absorbed while passing from the surface to the top of the atmosphere as a function of wavelength. " graph c is from top of atmosphere to tropopause.

I get what you say about integrating. You'd be integrating the area above the curve up to the 100% level, as the graph (b) is of absorption, not transmission.

And yes I'd not mentioned absorption vs reflection because I was using the hand merely as an example. This all comes from a discussion I've been having about spectral saturation of CO2 IR absorption. And it struck me that whilst I normally have a lay-persons understanding that IR is radiated heat. According to the boltzman equation even UV, for example, can be emitted if an object is hot enough.

So what I'm trying to understand is whether the visible components of the sun's light will at least contribute to the warming. Or if as most IR is blocked by the atmosphere, and the Sun mainly radiates above IR, what we feel as directly radiated warmth is mainly due to absorption of visible/UV.

No need to reply, I know that my undertsanding is a bit woolly at present but I've got more to consider now.

Once again thanks for the wikipaedia link, very useful.

Regards

CobblyWorlds.

1. What is radiant energy?

Radiant energy is a type of energy that is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves. It includes all forms of energy that travel through space, such as visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation.

2. How is radiant energy from the sun different from other sources of energy?

Radiant energy from the sun is unique in that it is the primary source of energy for life on Earth. Unlike other sources of energy, such as fossil fuels or nuclear power, radiant energy from the sun is renewable and does not produce harmful byproducts.

3. What is the difference between visible light and infrared radiation?

Visible light and infrared radiation are both forms of radiant energy, but they have different wavelengths. Visible light has shorter wavelengths and can be seen by the human eye, while infrared radiation has longer wavelengths and is not visible to the naked eye. However, both forms of energy are emitted by the sun.

4. How does radiant energy from the sun affect the Earth's climate?

Radiant energy from the sun is a major factor in regulating the Earth's climate. The Earth's atmosphere and surface absorb some of the sun's energy and reflect the rest back into space. Changes in the amount of radiant energy can affect the Earth's temperature and weather patterns.

5. Can we harness radiant energy from the sun for our own use?

Yes, we can harness radiant energy from the sun through various technologies such as solar panels and solar thermal systems. These technologies convert the sun's energy into electricity or heat, which can then be used to power homes, businesses, and other applications.