How can you easily multiply large numbers like 1538x483?

• Thread starter Domino83
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around different methods for multiplying large numbers, with one person sharing a link to a video demonstrating a system that was later deemed unnecessary and inefficient compared to other methods such as the FOIL method or Vedic system. Some examples and personal preferences were also shared, including a famous book on the subject and a trick for squaring two-digit numbers ending in 5. Overall, the conversation highlighted various techniques for solving multiplication problems efficiently.
Domino83
I've got a very helpfull system for making calculations, more exactly: multiplying.

How do you calculate large multiplications like e.g. 1538x483
Takes some time, isn't it?

Well, I found this system for solving the problem and it's great.
Whatch this, amazing:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/308408/Easy Multiplying. Don

Greetz
Domino

Edit: I see it has been removed today... strange.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What I see is just a complexification of normal multiplication. Whats the point?

I'm sorry, but this is pretty stupid ... This is merely obfuscation of the normal polynomial time, grade-school multiplication.

If you want some "amazing" systems for mulitplying large numbers, look up the divide-and-conquer selection algorithm, or Fast Fourier Transforms. Or, for a system that is doable by hand use the system Al Khwarizmi discovered, one that is used today in some European countries. It works by synthesizing a binary-styled multiplication. You multiply and divide number a and number b, respectively, by 2, then strike out the even rows and add up column b.

I won't bother showing how it works, because this is utterly pointless. The point being, that the technique outlined in that video is nothing but a rewrite of the grade-school algorithm, and nowhere near "the best way to multiply large numbers".

Last edited:
I like to use the FOIL method for multiplication of 2 or 3 digit numbers, e.g.

79x91=(80-1)(90+1)=7200+80-90-1=7189​

which is not very fast, but I don't care to memorize much of my times table, so it helps me.

benorin said:
I like to use the FOIL method for multiplication of 2 or 3 digit numbers, e.g.

79x91=(80-1)(90+1)=7200+80-90-1=7189​

which is not very fast, but I don't care to memorize much of my times table, so it helps me.
I would have done that same product a little differently (I find it hard to store 3 or 4 numbers in my head at a time and retrieve them later):

[tex]79\times 91=(85-6)(85+6)=85^2-6^2=7225-36=7189[/tex]

Different strokes!

Hi - I didn't see the original (removed) link, but suggest you check out a famous book called Figuring by Shakuntala Devi. All the above methods are just basic examples of the Vedic system she resuscitated. Older members may remember she's the prodigy whose mental arithmetic beat the calculator on Blue Peter!

My favourite is squaring two-digit numbers ending in 5: eg 75 squared. You just take the first number, 7 in this case, and add 1, getting 8; multiply these together, giving 56; stick 25 on the end to give 5625, the answer. Amaze your friends!:biggrin:

The general methods allow multiplication of long numbers with the answer on the line below!

eg (deliberately simple example)
3 1 2
1 2 1

Working from left to right: (3x1) 3 (3x2 + 1x1) 7 (3x1 + 1x2 + 2x1) 7 (1x1 + 2x2) 5 (2x1) 2

Check it out, it's seriously quick!:eek:

Best wishes

x=7

1. What is the best method for multiplying large numbers?

The best method for multiplying large numbers is the traditional long multiplication method, where you multiply the digits in each place value and carry over the remainder to the next place value. This method allows for easy tracking of the calculations and reduces the chances of making mistakes.

2. Is there a faster way to multiply numbers?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for multiplying numbers, such as the lattice method, partial products method, and the Russian peasant method. These methods may be faster in certain scenarios, but they require a bit of practice and may not be as reliable as the traditional long multiplication method.

3. Can you explain the "rule of nines" for multiplication?

The rule of nines states that when multiplying a number by 9, the sum of the digits in the product will always add up to 9. For example, 9 x 7 = 63, and 6 + 3 = 9. This rule can be extended for numbers with multiple digits, such as 9 x 72 = 648, and 6 + 4 + 8 = 18, and 1 + 8 = 9.

4. What is the significance of the number 10 in multiplication?

The number 10 has a special significance in multiplication because it is the base number in our number system. Any number multiplied by 10 will result in the original number with 0 added at the end. For example, 10 x 8 = 80. This makes multiplication by 10 quite easy and useful for mental calculations.

5. How does the commutative property apply to multiplication?

The commutative property of multiplication states that the order of the numbers being multiplied does not affect the result. In other words, a x b = b x a. This property is helpful in simplifying larger multiplication problems and can also be used to check the accuracy of calculations.