What if eyes were sensitive to infrared?

In summary, if eyes were sensitive to infrared, then the environment would appear brighter or darker and we would be able to see farther than normal. If eyes were sensitive to infrared, then anybody that gives off heat would become apparent to us, even if the body in question emitted no visible light. Variations in temperature would also become noticeable. Therefore we could see how heat energy is distributed about a body.
ritwik06
if eyes were sensitive to infrared, what would happen?
the environment would appear brighter/duller
or
we would be able to see farther than normal
or sun would be invisible?

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
we might be able to see through walls, that'd be kind of cool.

ritwik06 said:
or

What do you think?

If we could see IR, then anybody that gives off heat would become apparent to us, even if the body in question emitted no visible light. Variations in temperature would also become noticeable. Therefore we could see how heat energy is distributed about a body.

ranger said:
If we could see IR, then anybody that gives off heat would become apparent to us, even if the body in question emitted no visible light. Variations in temperature would also become noticeable. Therefore we could see how heat energy is distributed about a body.

I know that. But what would you chose if you were given only the options mentioned above.

ritwik06 said:
I know that. But what would you chose if you were given only the options mentioned above.

I fail to understand your response. You're saying that you know the answer but you still asked the question. What options are you talking about?

ranger said:
I fail to understand your response. You're saying that you know the answer but you still asked the question. What options are you talking about?

ah! I know what you told me about IR. The options are :
or

:confused:

ritwik06 said:
or

:confused:

No those arent options to chose from. Reread your original post.
or

What do you think?
It seems to me like you're asking more than telling. Anywayz its useless to argue about this.

ritwik06 said:

You can't set the options; nature does that. There would be very specific consequences of having infra-normal vision. Do some more research through whatever channels you have available (I still favour the library).

edit: Hey, Ranger... you sneaked in whilst I was composing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

ranger said:
No those arent options to chose from. Reread your original post.

It seems to me like you're asking more than telling. Anywayz its useless to argue about this.

Oh! OK!
Well I was asking not telling of course :biggrin:

Danger said:
You can't set the options; nature does that. There would be very specific consequences of having infra-normal vision. Do some more research through whatever channels you have available (I still favour the library).

edit: Hey, Ranger... you sneaked in whilst I was composing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

Please provide me links where I can read about these! :confused:

ritwik06 said:
Please provide me links where I can read about these! :confused:

Well... as I said, I favour the library. I'm not good with internet stuff. Frankly, I would say that getting more responses from the experts here in PF would be your best approach. This is as close as you can get to a 'peer-reviewed journal' with amateurs involved. If someone gives you bad advice, someone who knows more will shoot him down. The truth will prevail. Maybe try snooping around the Biology sector, since vision is a biological function. Moonbear can probably help you far more than I can.

Thanks danger!

1. What is infrared light?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is commonly referred to as "heat radiation" because it is often felt as heat. Infrared light is not visible to the human eye, but some animals, such as snakes and bees, can see it.

2. How would our vision change if our eyes were sensitive to infrared?

If our eyes were sensitive to infrared, we would be able to see objects and sources of light that emit infrared radiation. This could include things like body heat, thermal imaging cameras, and remote controls. However, our vision would likely be limited to black and white, as infrared light does not contain the colors that make up the visible spectrum. Additionally, our depth perception and ability to see fine details may be impacted.

3. Would it be beneficial or harmful for our eyes to be sensitive to infrared?

It could be both beneficial and harmful. On one hand, being able to see infrared could be useful for activities such as hunting, navigation, and detecting potential sources of danger. On the other hand, being exposed to high levels of infrared radiation could potentially damage our eyes and lead to vision problems.

4. Is it possible for humans to have eyes that are sensitive to infrared?

Yes, some people are born with the ability to see into the near-infrared range, but this is very rare. It is also possible for humans to have their vision altered through technology, such as infrared contact lenses, but this is not a natural occurrence.

5. How would this change affect our daily lives?

If our eyes were sensitive to infrared, it would likely have a significant impact on our daily lives. We would have to adjust to a different way of seeing the world and may need to take precautions to protect our eyes from infrared radiation. Our daily routines and activities, such as driving, cooking, and using electronic devices, may also be affected.