Calculating G-Force in Space: How Many KPH?

In summary, a spaceship can reach 5,100g in space, but there is no way to determine how many kilometers per hour this would be as g is an acceleration and kilometers per hour is a unit of velocity. The units of acceleration are meters per second per second, and an example of this formula with actual numbers is if you accelerate at 1m/s/s for 10 seconds, you will be going 10m/s. However, even prolonged exposure to 3g's can cause serious health problems and 10gs would be fatal for a person, even in a pressure suit. Inertial dampeners, although currently only science fiction, may not be able to compensate for 5,100 times Earth gravity.
ledopmi
I read that a spaceship can reach 5,100g in space. Is there a way to determine how many kilometers per hour this would be? As I understand it, the only way to feel g force is to be accelerating. The acceleration should slow down as speed increases and eventually stop so there would be 0g at that point.

I saw somewhere that 5,100g would be equal to 51,000kph but there was no explanation as to how the anwer was calculated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The g is an acceleration (the acceleration due to gravity felt on the surface of the earth). Therefore, 5100g is an acceleration and so, no, it cannot be converted into kilometres per hour, since this is a unit of velocity.

Since 1g is 9.8m/s/s, 5100g is 50,000m/s/s or 50km/s/s.

OK thanks. Can you explain the meters per second per second to me. I searched the web and found formulas but no examples.
Meters divided by time divided by time again. Can you give me an example of this formula with actual numbers?

That's the units of acceleration. If you accelerate at 1m/s/s for 10 seconds, you'll be going 10m/s. speed = acceleration * time.

Thank you.:smile:

Now that you know what a g is, also know that 5,100g would crush pretty much anything experiencing that magnitude of acceleration.

Check out this article on the effects of acceleration on the human body:
http://quest.nasa.gov/saturn/qa/new/Effects_of_speed_and_acceleration_on_the_body.txt

Even prolonged exposure to 3g's can cause serious health problems.

Prolonged exposure to 10gs would kill a person, even in a pressures suit.

Even if inertial dampeners, a device that would somehow less the effects of acceleration and currently only science fiction, were used, I doubt they would be able to compensate for 5,100 times Earth gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is G-Force?

G-Force is a measurement of the force exerted on an object due to acceleration. It is typically measured in multiples of the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (9.8 meters per second squared).

2. How is G-Force calculated in space?

G-Force in space is calculated by dividing the acceleration of the object (in meters per second squared) by the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (9.8 meters per second squared).

3. Why is G-Force important in space?

G-Force is important in space because it affects the human body and the functioning of spacecraft and equipment. High levels of G-Force can cause health problems for astronauts, while low levels can affect the accuracy and operation of equipment.

4. How many KPH is considered a high G-Force in space?

A high G-Force in space is typically considered to be anything above 5 KPH. However, the exact threshold for what is considered high varies depending on the individual and the duration of exposure.

5. What are some factors that can affect G-Force in space?

The main factor that affects G-Force in space is the acceleration of an object. Other factors that can influence G-Force include the duration of exposure, the direction of acceleration, and the physical condition and orientation of the object or person experiencing the force.