Graphics with Onboard Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on ASUS P5PE VM

• Thread starter anantchowdhary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary: So, it's a bit of a tradeoff. In summary, if you have 256mb of system RAM, you should leave the default video aperture size of 64mb. If you have more than 256mb of system RAM, you can set the aperture size to 128mb.
anantchowdhary
I ahve an ASUS P5PE VM motherboard.Its got Intel Extreme graphics 2 onboard.Now its video encoding is pretty poor.I had an intel 845GLAD before this board.It had 64mb of graphics memory .]

While the 845GLAD encoded video perfectly and i had no problems running games and videos on websites such as youtube

but with the P5PE VM which has got 96mb of grpahics memory
I have many problems playing videos on youtube(frequent breaks)

and also the gaming performance has gone down

Any solutions?

thnx
Anant

Computer science news on Phys.org
Buy a PCI Graphics Card?

I assume since you have onboard video that there is no AGP or PCI-E slots...

PCI Graphics cards are very cheap these days and I think you can even get them as high as 128 Ram... maybe more... been awhile since I looked into them.

But ATI and GeForce make a few... low end but still better than the ole Intel Graphics Chips.

Verify that the frequent breaks in the youtube videos are not due to your bandwidth limitations. I think that that is the most likely reason you see breaks. While this "extreme" graphics module is nothing to write home about it should be able to play youtube videos just fine.

I agree with MeJennifer...

As for the gaming... make sure that the graphics card is indeed using all 96mb... Intel Graphics has a tendency to bring up a little * near that rating... 96mb*... meaning that it is shared memory... aka part of the ram is acting as the video card memory.

Check your bios settings to make sure it all is being used...

The youtube videos are not due to problems with bandwidth.Ive had the same connection as i did before changing my CPU and motherboard.And how d i chek wether the *96mb* is being used or not?

thnx

Check the BIOS Setup

err...is that the AGP aperture size?

Ranik said:
Buy a PCI Graphics Card?

I assume since you have onboard video that there is no AGP or PCI-E slots...

PCI Graphics cards are very cheap these days and I think you can even get them as high as 128 Ram... maybe more... been awhile since I looked into them.

But ATI and GeForce make a few... low end but still better than the ole Intel Graphics Chips.

Why don't you look up the motherboard before giving someone advice? I'm sure you are not the repository of all knowledge and understanding.

The http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=1276&modelmenu=1" has an 8x AGP slot, which will be much better than any PCI graphics card.. Where did you get the idea that motherboards with onboard graphics never have AGP slots for graphics cards and/or no PCIe? It's been my experience for the last 10 years that motherboards still have an AGP slot even if they have onboard graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
anantchowdhary said:
err...is that the AGP aperture size?

Aperature size is what memory will be used if your graphics card's memory gets used up. So, if you have a 64mb graphics card and a game needs 100mb for textures or whatever, it will still work. Usually motherboards come with the default value of 64mb for aperture size. Sometimes using a larger value will increase performance, but othertimes it will actually reduce performance. It depends on how much total RAM you have and how much RAM your video card has. If you are running Windows XP on 256mb of RAM, I suggest you leave it at the default no matter what. If you have 512mb of system RAM, and your video card only has 64mb of RAM or less, then I highly recommend you set the aperture size to 128mb. If your video card has 128mb or more memory, I suggest you leave the aperature size where it is, but if you have a gig or more of system RAM, you could set it to 128mb and you might get some improvement in more modern games.

Note: When you increase the video aperture size, you are reserving that amount of system memory for only the graphics card. Your computer won't be able to use it for anything else. Also, sometimes you don't want to have that much RAM open to video games, because they will use more memory if they think they have more memory, but that will be slower than simply having a smaller aperture size a lot of the time because using your RAM like video card RAM is much slower.

Last edited:

1) What is Intel Extreme Graphics 2 and how does it compare to other graphics cards?

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 is an integrated graphics solution that is built into the motherboard of the ASUS P5PE VM. It is designed for basic graphics tasks such as web browsing and video playback. It is not as powerful as dedicated graphics cards, but it is sufficient for everyday use.

2) Can I play video games with Intel Extreme Graphics 2?

While Intel Extreme Graphics 2 can handle some older and less demanding games, it is not designed for gaming. Dedicated graphics cards are recommended for a smoother and better gaming experience.

3) How do I update the drivers for Intel Extreme Graphics 2?

You can update the drivers for Intel Extreme Graphics 2 by downloading the latest version from the Intel website or using the driver update utility provided by ASUS for the P5PE VM motherboard.

4) Can I connect multiple monitors to Intel Extreme Graphics 2?

Yes, Intel Extreme Graphics 2 supports dual monitor setup. However, the display quality may decrease if you are running multiple graphics-intensive applications.

5) Is Intel Extreme Graphics 2 compatible with Windows 10?

Yes, Intel Extreme Graphics 2 is compatible with Windows 10. However, due to its age, it may not have full compatibility with all features and may not provide the best performance. It is recommended to use a dedicated graphics card for Windows 10.