What exactly is it that determines that a magnet has only 2 poles?

In summary, four individual magnets of equal size will form a compound magnet with two poles when held together by their magnetic force. The number of poles a magnet has is determined by the spin or electrons, which are quantized to either +1/2 or -1/2. When slicing a thin strip off of a magnet, the north pole of the strip will have the same orientation as the original magnet. This is determined by the spin orientation of the magnetized regions in the slice, assuming it is a permanent magnet.
Mr_Bojingles
I have a few questions about magnetics. Let's say I have 4 individual magnets of equal size.
1.) When all 4 individual magnets come together and are held together by their magnetic force do they form 1 whole magnet with two poles or do they remain individual magnetics each with their couple of poles?

2.) What exactly is it that determines that a magnet has only 2 poles? Is it the fact that their electrons are connected through the electron pool? Thats my guess.

3.) What determines which pole ends up where? Let's say I have a rectangular magnet.

N == S

What If I slice a thin strip of the end of the south pole? What determines whether the north pole of the strip will be at the top or bottom of the strip? I assume the poles of any rectangular magnet will be at either the top and bottom rather than the sides.

Sorry for the ****ty presentation of that question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr_Bojingles said:
I have a few questions about magnetics. Let's say I have 4 individual magnets of equal size.
1.) When all 4 individual magnets come together and are held together by their magnetic force do they form 1 whole magnet with two poles or do they remain individual magnetics each with their couple of poles?

2.) What exactly is it that determines that a magnet has only 2 poles? Is it the fact that their electrons are connected through the electron pool? Thats my guess.

3.) What determines which pole ends up where? Let's say I have a rectangular magnet.

N == S

What If I slice a thin strip of the end of the south pole? What determines whether the north pole of the strip will be at the top or bottom of the strip? I assume the poles of any rectangular magnet will be at either the top and bottom rather than the sides.

Sorry for the ****ty presentation of that question.

1) they will form a compound magnet which poles at the ends, the fields will be conducted through the middle 2 magnets so it will act like one magnet
2)magnetization is dependent on spin or electrons, spin is quantized to either +1/2 or -1/2.
3)it will have the same exact pole orientation as the magnet you sliced it off of. what determines is the spin orienation of the magnetized regions in the slice. since they came off of the bigger magnet they will have the same orientation as the original. this is of course only if it is a permanent magnet.

I can provide answers to your questions about magnetics.

1. When individual magnets come together, they do not form one whole magnet with two poles. Each magnet will still have its own set of poles. However, the magnetic forces of the individual magnets may interact with each other, resulting in a stronger or weaker overall magnetic field.

2. The number of poles in a magnet is determined by its molecular structure. In a typical magnet, the atoms are arranged in a way that creates two distinct poles - a north pole and a south pole. This is due to the alignment of the electrons in the atoms. The electrons have a property called spin, which creates a tiny magnetic field. When the spins of the electrons in a material are aligned in the same direction, it creates a macroscopic magnetic field with two poles.

3. The orientation of the poles in a rectangular magnet is determined by the direction of the magnetic field lines within the material. These field lines are influenced by the alignment of the electrons in the atoms. If you slice off a thin strip of the south pole of a rectangular magnet, the north pole of the strip will be at the top or bottom depending on the direction of the field lines in that particular section of the magnet. The poles of a rectangular magnet will typically be at the top and bottom rather than the sides because of the way the atoms are arranged in the material.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of magnetic poles for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is a magnet?

A magnet is a material or object that produces a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. How does a magnet work?

A magnet works because of the alignment of its electrons. In most materials, the electrons move in random directions, but in a magnet, the electrons are aligned and spin in the same direction, creating a magnetic field.

3. Why do magnets have two poles?

Magnets have two poles because of the way their electrons are aligned. One end of the magnet, called the north pole, has electrons spinning in one direction, while the other end, the south pole, has electrons spinning in the opposite direction.

4. Can magnets have more than two poles?

No, magnets can only have two poles: a north pole and a south pole. This is due to the way the electrons are aligned within the magnet.

5. What determines the strength of a magnet's poles?

The strength of a magnet's poles is determined by the material it is made of and the alignment of its electrons. The stronger the alignment and the more electrons that are aligned, the stronger the magnet's poles will be.