Kinoki Detox Foot Pads: Safe & Natural Toxin Removal

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Kinoki Detox Foot Pads are formulated in Japan using all-natural tree extracts and powerful negative ions to help rid the body of harmful toxins. While there is some debate about their effectiveness, some people have reported experiencing less moisture and improved symptoms after using the pads. However, there is also evidence that the dark brown staining seen on the pads is simply a result of moisture and dead skin cells, and not an indication of toxins being removed from the body. Ultimately, it is up to individuals to decide if they believe in the claims of the Kinoki Foot Pads and if they want to use them as a detox method.
From http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4101
The active ingredient in Kinoki footpads is powdered wood vinegar. When it's dried, it forms a colorless powder. In its normal liquid state, it's dark brown or black. Contact with perspiration from your foot reconstitutes the acetic acid in the wood vinegar, and the dark liquid stains the pad. Presto, science in action, and no magical transport of mysterious "toxins" through non-permeable skin is needed to explain the effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just saw a new, different commercial for these things- and I of course thought of this thread. :)

It seems that they have taken the "Asian" aspect out of it now and are calling them "Power Purify Foot Patches." They attribute the way they work not to being "like a tree", but solely to gravity. So now its gravity that supposedly moves toxins away from your body’s vital organs and into your feet. However, the animated illustration in the commercial shows stuff (toxins?) moving from your fingertips up your arms and back toward the body trunk (which to the best of my knowledge is not only going against gravity but also is moving toxins TOWARD your vital organs... unless your fingers are more vital than your lungs, heart, etc) then down your legs and to, of course, your feet. I also note that you are supposed to use these things laying down, so why gravity would still draw everything to your feet of all places when you are sprawled out on a bed is also beyond me.

Incidentally, I believe these things are even claiming to rectify problems attributed to radiation exposure. I wish I had recorded the commercial, but they seemed to mention similar things as the old commercial. I think they say that tourmaline is an ingredient that uses infrared rays to heat and open pores- that this stimulates reflexology points. They also include wood vinegar from oak, beech, and sakura trees. OK, then.

Last edited:
That's hysterical! Thanks for the post!

W3pcq said:
I hear of much skepticism, but of no debunking. Sounds like group thinking taking over to me.

Even if its effectiveness is not empirically supported, it could still be effective but be manifesting a Type II error. Maybe it's effective for only a very tiny segment of the population whose body chemistry is somehow different from that of most people. All that can really be "proven" is its statistical significance in a controlled study.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

(P.S. It could still be B.S.)

The fact is that it can't do what they claim. It is that simple.

CEL said:

It seems a simple test of that would be to spritz them with sterile, purified water. If it's just a moisture-induced color change type indicator, they should turn brown with a little spritzing.

You want to make similar foot pads? Load them with fibers from tea leaves, oak wood, etc. They can look nice and white, and as soon as you sweat into those pads, the tannic acid will create nice dark brown stains.

Reasonably thorough report from ABC News:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Stossel/story?id=4636224
Ridding Yourself of Toxins, or Money?
April 11, 2008

FTA: The Kinoki ads' claim that we're brimming with things like heavy metals, toxins and parasites scares people. "20/20" asked NMS Labs, a national laboratory in Willow Grove, Pa., that performs toxicology testing, to analyze the used Kinoki and Avon pads from eight of our group to see what we could find on the pads.

The lab tested for a lot of things, including heavy metals like arsenic and mercury and 23 solvents, including benzene, tolulene and styrene and found none of these on the used pads.
---

Related:
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2008/04/your_friday_dose_of_woo_when_two_woos_go_to_war.php

Last edited by a moderator:
pantaz said:
Reasonably thorough report from ABC News:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Stossel/story?id=4636224
Ridding Yourself of Toxins, or Money?
April 11, 2008

FTA: The Kinoki ads' claim that we're brimming with things like heavy metals, toxins and parasites scares people. "20/20" asked NMS Labs, a national laboratory in Willow Grove, Pa., that performs toxicology testing, to analyze the used Kinoki and Avon pads from eight of our group to see what we could find on the pads.

The lab tested for a lot of things, including heavy metals like arsenic and mercury and 23 solvents, including benzene, tolulene and styrene and found none of these on the used pads.
---

Related:
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2008/04/your_friday_dose_of_woo_when_two_woos_go_to_war.php

Should've quoted the most relevant statement from the ABC story:
ABC said:
"I feel like it's a scam," said Sweeney. "It's just the moisture in your feet that are darkening the pad."

Bingo. There's no evidence that it's toxins. When I dropped distilled water on the pad, it turns dark in seconds.

A similar product is now selling with the brand name, Power Purify Foot Pads.
http://www.powerpurify.com/?cid=536325

I became a member of this forum while I was searching for the credibility of the Power purify producty. It seems the only way to buy the foot pad is on the web using your credit card. It seems I cannot buy it using check or even cashiers check. Plus, they keep sending you products at every interval and automatically charging your credit card.

All this points that its a scam. If I make a product that's really cool - I'd give prople 100s of options to buy and not this silly way - I try to stay away from all products that sell in this way.

But anyways, the footpad did one good thing to me - it made me find this forum which i instantly became a member of. Thankyou powerpurify :)

metalweb said:
I became a member of this forum while I was searching for the credibility of the Power purify producty. It seems the only way to buy the foot pad is on the web using your credit card. It seems I cannot buy it using check or even cashiers check. Plus, they keep sending you products at every interval and automatically charging your credit card.

All this points that its a scam. If I make a product that's really cool - I'd give prople 100s of options to buy and not this silly way - I try to stay away from all products that sell in this way.

But anyways, the footpad did one good thing to me - it made me find this forum which i instantly became a member of. Thankyou powerpurify :)

Thank you, metalweb, and welcome to PF. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've seen these in a Walgreens and gas stations! Beyond tv now.

I saw them in Bed Bath and Beyond too, but then they have lots of useless contraptions in their beauty section. They should've stuck with kitchenwares and linens. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I saw them in Bed Bath and Beyond too, but then they have lots of useless contraptions in their beauty section. They should've stuck with kitchenwares and linens. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is so... sad.

hypatia said:
I suspect some form of tannic acid in them, which turns dark brown with sweat/salts.

That makes no sense if that were true, why would the new pads progressively be less and less brown, and eventually just be white pad, no brown??

I think they work. My unprofessional opinion, of course. Sometimes you just have to try something, really experience it before you can know the truth about it!

AngelsWalk said:
That makes no sense if that were true, why would the new pads progressively be less and less brown, and eventually just be white pad, no brown??

I think they work. My unprofessional opinion, of course. Sometimes you just have to try something, really experience it before you can know the truth about it!

Beyond the parlor tricks, the trouble is that you have no way to know if it works. On what do you base your opinion, a brown pad; that tells you that it has removed toxins from your body? How do you know that?

Does the company provide any independent analysis to confirm its claims?

My guess would be that progressively cleaner pads are an indication of increasingly clean feet. You probably temporarily remove the oils from your skin.

Ivan Seeking said:
Beyond the parlor tricks, the trouble is that you have no way to know if it works. On what do you base your opinion, a brown pad; that tells you that it has removed toxins from your body? How do you know that?

Does the company provide any independent analysis to confirm its claims?

My guess would be that progressively cleaner pads are an indication of increasingly clean feet. You probably temporarily remove the oils from your skin.
Since eevn distilled water will turn the pads brown, perhaps they block the pores and prevent perspiration with prolonged use? It seems that moisture is what turns them brown.

Evo said:
Since eevn distilled water will turn the pads brown, perhaps they block the pores and prevent perspiration with prolonged use? It seems that moisture is what turns them brown.

Interesting concept. Maybe they contain an antiperspirant. If so, they might be more useful for preventing stinky feet than anything else they claim.

Moonbear said:
Interesting concept. Maybe they contain an antiperspirant. If so, they might be more useful for preventing stinky feet than anything else they claim.

I've seen a news story related to these, i think they analyzed it and found that there's antiperspirant in the pads that accumulates after a while and blocks the pores.