Prove refractive index of prism (help please )

In summary, the problem involves finding the refractive index of a prism given its angle of deviation and apex angle. The solution requires proving that Nprism = sin((A+d)/2)/ sin(A/2) and using the equation n sin(i) = nprism sin (r). By setting i1 = (A+d)/2 and r1 = (A/2), and using geometry and similarity of triangles, the values of i1 and r1 can be determined. Substituting these values in the equation for refractive index, n can then be calculated.
JonnyRockets
Refractive Index Problem invloving prism (Please Help)

Homework Statement

What is given is a prism, angle of deviation and apex angle, I also have to find refractive index of the prism.

To solve the problem I must prove that:
Nprism = sin((A+d)/2)/ sin(A/2)

The diagram given of the Prism:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5148/trianglepv4.png

Homework Equations

n sin(i) = nprism sin (r)

3. My attempt at a solution

nprism = sin(i1)/sin(r1)

therefore i1 = (A+d)/2 and r1 = (A/2)

just need to figure i1 = (A+d)/2 and r1 = (A/2) by proving

Please Note: My solution so far may be completely wrong, any help given would be very much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any Ideas on how to solve this, maybe a more advanced physics member on this forum may be able to shed some light on this question?

where is d in your figure?

Sorry here is the new triangle with d, please if anyone knows how to solve this question it would be very much appreciated :)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6923/trianglepv4oy9.png

Last edited by a moderator:

in minimum deviation position:
i1=r2
r1=i2 say =r
thus, A=2r implies r=A/2
and from equation
d+A=i1+r2 (similarity of triangles and geometry)
i1+r2=A+d
thus, i=(A+d)/2

refractive index n=[sin(A/2 + d/2)] / [sin(A/2)]
since, n=[sin i1] / [sin r]hope it helped

Likes Akintoye Tope

1. What is a refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it passes through a material, such as a prism. It is represented by the symbol "n" and is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the refractive index of a prism determined?

The refractive index of a prism can be determined by measuring the angle of incidence and angle of refraction of a beam of light passing through the prism. Using Snell's law, the refractive index can be calculated by taking the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction.

3. Why is it important to know the refractive index of a prism?

The refractive index of a prism is important because it affects the way light is bent or refracted as it passes through the prism. This property is essential in various optical applications, such as in lenses, prisms, and other optical devices.

4. Can the refractive index of a prism change?

Yes, the refractive index of a prism can change depending on the material it is made of, the temperature, and the wavelength of light passing through it. In some cases, the refractive index can also be altered by applying an electric or magnetic field.

5. How does the refractive index of a prism affect the dispersion of light?

The refractive index of a prism is directly related to the dispersion of light, which is the separation of different wavelengths of light. A higher refractive index means that light of different wavelengths will be bent at different angles, resulting in a more noticeable dispersion of colors. This is why prisms are often used to create rainbows and other colorful effects.